Are you looking for a new and exciting manual role with lots of variety? Do you enjoy working outdoors rain or shine? If yes, then this could be the job for you! We have an exciting opportunity for several Multi- Skilled Operatives to join our team in making Reading an even better place to live and work!
About the role
You will be required to carry out a range of basic duties concerned with the environmental maintenance of the Borough in order to maintain the environment. This will include duties for the following services with appropriate training:
- Grounds maintenance – grass cutting, hedge cutting to roadside verges, parks and other council properties
- Waste Operations – collection of waste(s) in bins and bags, bulky wastes and bin deliveries.
- Cleansing – litter picking/sweeping, collecting fly tipping and emptying of litter bins.
- Highways – repair highways defects, unblocking of road gullies and sewers
- To drive and ensure the safe operation and maintenance of vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes + trailer when used within designated rounds, or for ad hoc works.
- Installation of street furniture including signs, guardrails, fencing and bollards
Overall we are looking for someone who is dedicated and hardworking, ideally with experience of:
- Manual Handling
- Complying with safe work practices
- Good communication and customer care
- Competent in using a range of powered machinery
- Able to follow clear instructions
- Current, full driving licence with a minimum category C1 (+ E is preferable)
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
- A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- 24 days holiday plus public holidays (rising to 32 after service)
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loans
- A range of local discounts
For more information on this position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
Please be aware that for the purposes of equal opportunities, we can only accept Reading Borough Council application forms.
Internal Reading Borough Council employees must login via Employee Self Service to apply. If you have not yet been issued with your Employee Self Service account, or you have any queries, please email EmployeeSelfService@reading.gov.uk with details.
Interview date: w/c 27th May 2019.
Please note that these dates are indicative at this stage and may be subject to change