If you love data, analysing it to solve complex problem, are naturally curious and want to make real local impact, you should consider working for us.
This role is an excellent opportunity for a collaborative problem solver who wants to make an immediate impact in a large organisation that serves diverse communities with varied needs. Using internal, externally sources and public data, you will have the opportunity to be involved in a wide range of analytical and strategic projects, with significant organizational and social impact.
The postholder will lead on analytical projects that will impact decisions that bring about positive change to lives of half a million residents of Richmond and Wandsworth Councils.
You will be joining the corporate Insight and Analytics Team that supports departments and projects across Richmond and Wandsworth Councils and works with various local third-sector and health and social care partners.
Teams vision is to serve the needs of residents and service users by providing quality and credible analytical intelligence and insight to facilitate council and partner decisions regarding best use of resources, service delivery and policy development.
- Using descriptive and predictive analysis to bring data driven intelligence and insight to the table to support policy and program development and review.??
- Use your knowledge, experience and technical skills to guide future of analytics and data sciences work within the council.??
- Work with wide range of council departments to support residents.??
- Identify new data sources and tools that can facilitate the work of the Insight and Analytics team.
- Develop processes to ensure data validity, repeat-ability, quality and scalability, and facilitate skills transfer to colleagues.????
- Keen problem solver who is interested in using data analytics to enhance understanding and develop solutions.
- Take a structured, methodical and client focused approach to problem solving.
- Keen interest and experience in coding and querying (e.g. Python, R, SQL, NoSQL etc.) and learning new techniques and tools to solve analytics problems as they arise.
- Interest in machine learning, probabilistic analysis and big data and associated software (Azure, Hadoop etc.)
- Background in analytics gained through education and/or work experience.
- Good communicator and able to explain findings to non-technical audiences through reports, presentations, dashboards and data visualizations.
- Able to work independently and in a team.
- Able to juggle various tasks and analytical requests at the same time.
We are looking for a person with previous data sciences or related relevant experience but are open to recruiting an individual with aptitude for data sciences who is keen to learn and develop.
The trainee data scientist will be developed into the post through on the job and data sciences apprenticeship training scheme. Please indicate in your application if you are applying as a trainee.??
- Working arrangements that will enhance your work-life balance
- A very positive and supportive environment where creativity and hard work are supported and appreciated.
- An organisation committed to supporting new ways of working so flexible working arrangements are at the forefront.
- A supportive management team and peer group that is keen to teach and lean from the position holder.
- Accredited training and development opportunities for those new to the field through a Level 4 data sciences apprenticeship program.
- 31 days of annual leave plus bank holidays.
In addition, we offer a range of staff benefits such as Performance Related Pay, membership of the Local Government contributory pension scheme, childcare vouchers, new technology scheme, interest-free loans on annual travel cards, discounts at many leisure activities, restaurants, shops and other establishments. A wide range of developmental opportunities are also offered.
Richmond and Wandsworth are currently reviewing our pay, reward and benefits framework, in partnership with Trade Union colleagues. We are developing different options that make sure we have a fair and transparent system in place.
Indicative Recruitment Timeline
Closing Date:?? Wednesday, 15 May 2019
Exam Day: Wednesday, 22 May 2019
Interview Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2019
Please note that these dates are only indicative at this stage and could be subject to change.
The closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils are committed to making our recruitment practices as inclusive as possible for everyone. We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and developing a culture that values differences, recognising that employees from a variety of backgrounds bring important and positive contributions to the Councils and can improve the way we deliver services. We are proud to be a??Disability Confident employer.
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people/vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
For an informal discussion please contact:
Salman Klar, Insight and Analytics Team Manager, 020 8871 5023, Salman.Klar@Richmondandwandsworth.gov.uk??????????????