Contract Type – Fixed Term (for up to 3 years)
Section – Economic Development and Regeneration
Salary Band – 3c
Annual Salary – £33,799 per annum
Hours – 37 per week
Reference – SEL0109-01
Are you looking to advance your career in economic development and really make your mark on a place?
Now is a great time to join Selby District Council and be part of delivering an exciting economic and regeneration agenda at the heart of Yorkshire. We recently won Local Authority of the Year for our work on economic development and regeneration at the 2018 Business Insider Yorkshire Property Awards. Our 2018 LGA Peer Review concluded that there has been a ‘sea change’ at Selby District Council, with ‘a clear focus on economic growth’. We have strategic sites to deliver, bringing thousands of jobs and homes, and a broad range of major regeneration and place-making projects.
On top of all this Selby District is a great place to be. Our market towns and picturesque villages provide a good quality of life. North Yorkshire is one of the safest counties in England and we benefit from top quality education, including one of the best further education colleges in England. House prices here are generally lower than our urban neighbours so you get more for your money. We’re extremely well connected too, with great road and rail links to all parts of the UK. Being within easy reach of Yorkshire’s leading cities - dynamic Leeds and historic York are a short journey away via regular train and bus links - we offer the best of both worlds.
What’s the job?
Comprising two small teams, the Economic Development and Regeneration Unit was established in 2017 to deliver an ambitious new strategy. It has a key role to play in the future of Selby District and helping to deliver high quality development and place making and support sustainable economic growth and investment. Selby District is the fastest growing part of North Yorkshire and you will be helping to deliver some of the largest development projects in the area, ensuring with a strong focus on improving town centres and places. It’s a rewarding and challenging place to work.
A very recent review of our Economic Development Framework sets out 10 clear priorities to deliver. You will play a key role in the Economic Development Team but work in close partnership with the Regeneration Team, together with colleagues in planning, community, housing and property teams. In this two-tier area you will need to be adept at partnership working to build the case for and successfully deliver the Council’s economic priorities with businesses, developers, LEPs, the County Council, neighbouring authorities, transport bodies and other key players. The role requires you to deliver a broad economic agenda, including:
- supporting the creation of economic growth in the district, promoting Selby District for investment and enhancing the Council’s credibility and reputation for delivering economic and regeneration priorities.
- creating and maintain strong and collaborative relationships with key delivery partners and influencing their strategies and priorities to the deliver Council’s economic aims
- delivering new opportunities to promote and grow the district’s economy and maximise the full potential of our community and place
- working with businesses, developers and partners to secure inward investment and business growth, in accordance with the Economic Development Framework, including funding for place-making and improved infrastructure
- providing specialist technical information to Councilors, Leadership Team, Senior Managers and staff on economic and inward investment and Framework matters
- reviewing and contributing to internal and external economic strategies and initiatives, including government, Northern Power House, Transport for the North and LEPs, advising Executive Members, Leadership Team and affected service Heads.
- assisting with financial and performance recording and monitoring, including the preparation of Portfolio Holder reports to Council and Corporate Performance reports on behalf of the Economic Development team.
- responsibility for the Economic Development CRM system, updating it to meet core business needs, drive forward product development and develop reports to support management reporting needs.
Who are we looking for?
We need an experienced economic development professional with good knowledge of policy and effective practices to play a key role in our Economic Development Team and drive forward delivery. This work involves negotiation on behalf of the Council, working outside established policy and procedures, together with developing strategy and working with others in ways that deliver the Council's aims. You will need the presentational and influencing skills to represent the Council at a senior level with businesses, politicians and partner organisations.
The successful candidate will have broad experience of economic development and of delivering varied economic projects and strategies whilst working successfully with political, corporate, commercial and community stakeholders. You will manage a range of economic projects and work streams, liaising with and taking guidance from the Economic Development Manager and Head of Service. You should be flexible, positive and motivated.
If you are interested in this role and would like to know more, please contact Julian Rudd (Head of Economic Development & Regeneration) on 01757 292118 or email email@example.com.
We are also holding an informal “open office” session for applicants between 3.00pm and 7.00pm on Wednesday 15 May 2019 at the Civic Centre, Selby. During these hours you can call in to meet the team. Please confirm your attendance to firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply
For application documents, please visit www.selbycounciljobs.co.uk
Please note that CVs are not accepted.
Applications for Job Share will be considered sympathetically.
Selby District Council is an equal opportunities employer.
Closing Date – Sunday 19 May 2019