Contract Type – Fixed Term (for up to 3 years)
Section – Economic Development and Regeneration
Salary Band – 4c
Annual Salary – £44,632 per annum
Hours – 37 per week
Reference – SEL0147-02
Are you looking to advance your career in regeneration and really make your mark on a place?
Now is a great time to join Selby District Council and be part of delivering an exciting economic and regeneration agenda at the heart of Yorkshire. We recently won Local Authority of the Year for our work on economic development and regeneration at the 2018 Business Insider Yorkshire Property Awards. Our 2018 LGA Peer Review concluded that there has been a ‘sea change’ at Selby District Council, with ‘a clear focus on economic growth’. We have strategic sites to deliver, bringing thousands of jobs and homes, and a broad range of major regeneration and place-making projects.
On top of all this Selby District is a great place to be. Our market towns and picturesque villages provide a good quality of life. North Yorkshire is one of the safest counties in England and we benefit from top quality education, including one of the best further education colleges in England. House prices here are generally lower than our urban neighbours so you get more for your money. We’re extremely well connected too, with great road and rail links to all parts of the UK. Being within easy reach of Yorkshire’s leading cities - dynamic Leeds and historic York are a short journey away via regular train and bus links - we offer the best of both worlds.
What’s the job?
Comprising two small teams, the Economic Development and Regeneration Unit was established in 2017 to deliver an ambitious new strategy. It has a key role to play in the future of Selby District and helping to deliver high quality development and place making and support sustainable economic growth and investment. Selby District is the fastest growing part of North Yorkshire and you will be delivering some of the largest development projects in the area, with a strong focus on improving town centres and places and leading the redevelopment of brownfield sites, some of which the Council own. It’s a rewarding and challenging place to work.
A very recent review of our Economic Development Framework sets out 10 clear priorities to deliver. You will lead the Regeneration Team but work in close partnership with the Economic Development Manager and their team, together with colleagues in planning, community, housing and property teams. In this two-tier area you will need to be adept at partnership working to build the case for and successfully deliver sites and enhanced places and infrastructure with developers, Homes England, LEPs, the County Council, neighbouring authorities, transport bodies and other key players. The role requires you to manage the Regeneration team and delivery of its projects, including:
- Project managing delivery of the Olympia Park site for a large scale mixed-use scheme, including use of the £9m HIF grant awarded to the Council to secure 1500 homes
- Leading delivery of residential schemes on Council-owned brownfield sites, including use of Accelerated Construction funding
- Leading town centre regeneration and place making, including:
- use of Transforming Cities Funding to regenerate the Selby station area and improve connectivity, including delivery of projects
- work with NYCC and others on identifying and delivering transport–led place making to improve connectivity, create better places, support walking and cycling and manage the flow of vehicles.
- input to Future High Streets and related work
- Securing major funding to enable development and improve places and historic assets
- Leading work to improve urban design and the quality of development, including master planning and design briefs
- Representing the Council in One Public Estate activities, including making and delivering proposals to support the Council’s aims
- Developing the case for longer term strategic development opportunities
Who are we looking for?
We need an experienced regeneration professional to lead our Regeneration Team and drive forward delivery. This role requires an innovative and commercially-minded individual with a successful track record in the delivery of housing, regeneration and place making projects.
The successful candidate will have broad experience of the development process and of leading the delivery of a number of varied sites and projects whilst working successfully with political, corporate, commercial and community stakeholders. You will manage all aspects of delivering a number of strategic regeneration sites and projects across the District, liaising with and taking guidance from the Head of Service and the Service Director. You should be flexible and positive, with the nurturing and organisational skills to manage and develop a small team.
If you are interested in this role and would like to know more, please contact Julian Rudd (Head of Economic Development & Regeneration) on 01757 292118 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are also holding an informal “open office” session for applicants between 3.00pm and 7.00pm on Wednesday 15 May 2019 at the Civic Centre, Selby. During these hours you can call in to meet the team. Please confirm your attendance to email@example.com
How to apply
For application documents, please visit www.selbycounciljobs.co.uk
Please note that CVs are not accepted.
Applications for Job Share will be considered sympathetically.
Selby District Council is an equal opportunities employer.
Closing Date – Sunday 19 May 2019