The London Borough of Croydon is a hugely ambitious council.
We want the absolute best for our residents and businesses, and are fiercely proud of our brilliant places and people. Our Corporate Plan 2018-2022 sets out a radical new agenda for doing things differently, to create better outcomes for everyone in our borough.
As London’s growth borough, we’re also undergoing a massive £5.25bn regeneration programme that is transforming our town and district centres, and creating new offices, retail, homes and jobs for our rapidly growing population.
Application Support Officer (2 Year Fixed Term Contract)
It’s an incredibly exciting time to be joining Croydon – especially to work on digital, data and technology services. Digital transformation is central to our ambitious plans and we are, in the words of our Chief Digital Officer, not messing around.
We are establishing a new Croydon Digital Service within the council – transforming our ICT team into a GDS-style service that can support the digital transformation of the council, revolutionise our online services for residents, and lead cross-sectoral work to enhance the borough through digital and technical innovation.
We have signed the Local Digital Declaration, committing us to delivering user-centred services that meet the Government Service Standard, and to following the Technology Code of Practice. We seek to collaborate, wherever possible, across London boroughs (led by City Hall) and all local authorities to share learnings, ideas and solutions. We work in the open, inviting feedback and input from our stakeholders.
About the role
We are looking for an Application Support Officer to join our applications support team in CDS for 2 years on a fixed term contract.
You will be responsible for supporting a number of software applications across the council that are vital to the successful running of council services. You will provide training, guidance and support for internal users, answer user enquiries, and make administration and configuration changes to the applications to help council colleagues deliver a better service.
You will also play a significant part in identifying opportunities to transform how those services work, by building up a deep knowledge of business processes and users’ needs, and contributing ideas for how systems need to be improved.
You will do this as part of one or more agile, multidisciplinary team(s) that are leading the digital transformation of the council’s systems and services.
The successful applicant will be joining at an exciting time where innovation and creativity is encouraged to help meet user needs.
This role will suite candidates who have a passion for great user experience by proactively identifying system issues, providing user insight into software designs, responding to user enquiries and being one of the first to test new software solutions.
The post holder will:
- Provide 2nd line day to day support to a number of software applications, as directed by the Application Support Manager.
- Proactively carry out system and user monitoring across a wide range of applications.
- Work within a multidisciplinary team, in the design and implementation of greenfield and brownfield projects to create, replace or improve applications
- Respond to and help to resolve day to day enquiries, faults, and fixes.
- Be focused on supporting a number of Microsoft based applications but would also be required to support other generic as well as bespoke applications (with training provided)
- Support training activities, helping council colleagues learn how to get the most out of the applications that they need to provide their service
- Working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Creative approach to problem solving in a dynamic environment.
- Experience of user-centric service delivery.
- Developing and executing test scripts.
- (Desirable) Experience of working in agile, multi-disciplinary teams including software engineers and business analysts.
What’s in it for you?
As well as all the generous benefit packages associated with working for Croydon Council, the successful applicant will also have an opportunity to contribute to the shaping of the Croydon Digital Service as we continue to improve our technology to deliver our ambitious digital transformation plans
As we are signed up to the Local Digital Declaration, the successful candidate will also have access to many other organisations to learn from and share best practices with.
This is an exciting opportunity to work for a Council with ambitious plans to grow and a genuinely aim to transform the digital user experience.
As you work for us we will invest in you to help you develop and achieve professional goals whilst also providing you with the opportunity to work with brilliant colleagues, in an exceptional, high performing team.
Candidates must be available for interview w/c April 2019
Equal Opportunities Statement and Safeguarding
Croydon Council is an inclusive employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. We will be pleased to consider applications from candidates seeking flexible working arrangements.