Team: Capital Construction Service
Salary: £62,058 to £66,712 per annum
Hours: Full-time, 37 hours per week
Location: Shefford, Bedfordshire
Contract Type: Permanent
Closing Date: 28th April 2019
Interview Date: w/c 6th May 2019
Head of Capital Construction Service
Central Bedfordshire is at the centre of growth activity in the UK. There are plans for an additional 20,000 households living and working in the area over the next 20 years. This will increase demand for council services such as schools, jobs, houses and care. The Council is embracing this challenge and has ambitious plans for investing in the future. Our new leisure centres, libraries and independent living scheme demonstrate the Council’s commitment to provide world-class facilities and services for its residents. We are also investing in major new road links and high street regeneration to keep our market towns thriving and easy to access.
As Head of the Capital Construction Service, you will be responsible for delivering all the Council’s major construction projects including residential, commercial, health and social care, agricultural and educational buildings.
You will manage an intelligent client’ service for the Council’s large and complex construction projects ensuring they meet the time, budget and quality requirements of our customers. The projects include new builds as well as major refurbishments and range in value from £1m to £40M with no two jobs the same. The team is currently managing around 20 projects with a value of over £200m, with a further 15 projects in the pipeline.
The work will be high profile and you will need to build strong relationships with our Customers, Senior Officers and Councilors who have high expectations of the service, so you can help them translate their ambitions into delivered schemes.
We are currently procuring a Design and Project Management Partner that you will contract manage, alongside additional recruitment to the internal team to make sure the capacity is in place to meet the Councils ambitious plans.
Your qualifications, skills and experience
- You will have experience in construction management, having successfully managed delivery of capital construction projects valued up-to £40m, preferably in the public sector.
- You will understand delivery strategies, procurement and contract options for construction projects, with experience of high value procurement (including outcome-based commissioning), JCT and NEC contracts, contract management and awareness of contract enforcement.
- You must be able to lead a project and portfolio management methodology for construction projects, with experience of project programming, estimating fees, managing resources, risk and issues across all RIBA stages.
- You will have knowledge and experience of managing internal and external construction professionals.
- You will have good working knowledge of statutory regulations relevant to capital projects, including CDM 2015 the building regulations, and Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations.
- With good political and commercial awareness, and strong communication skills, you will have a gift for influencing others, translating technical information into plain language, working together and be committed to evidence-based decision making.
- You must be able to lead the service in a way that reflects the Councils values. Customer Friendly. Efficient. Connected.
The Council is committed to making Central Bedfordshire 'A great place to live and work’ and this is reflected in the package that it offers its employees.
Membership of the competitive Local Government Pension Scheme from day one, agile working (plus laptop and smartphone), relocation package (subject to eligibility), and many other staff discounts (such as discounted gym membership). A full overview of benefits on offer is included in the Recruitment Pack.
There are excellent opportunities for career progression within Central Bedfordshire Council. We are committed to the training and development of our staff.
Join us, and take advantage of a generous rewards package, agile working and the chance of continuous professional development. Find your greatness playing your part in our area’s growth.
Central Bedfordshire Council is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome enquiries from everyone and value diversity in the workplace. We are a Disability Confident employer, we are working to become a Disability Confident leader in our community.
To maintain a fair and consistent approach for applicants, it is Central Bedfordshire Council's policy to only consider CVs submitted via our online system and we therefore thank you for not submitting your CV offline. If you do not have a CV to hand, please click here for a CV template that you can use to create your CV to apply for this role.