The apprentice will be involved in the following aspects of Council work:
Business Planning: The Council operates within a budget of around £11m. The Council has to decide which activities to engage with given this limited budget. The business planning process facilitates these discussions and the apprentice will have a role to play in the process by arranging meetings and providing information at key decision points.
Risk Management: A key skill needed in business administration is the ability to identify and mitigate risks to operations. Risks are varied and include factors such as, for example: unexpected illness, loss of income and cyber security. The Council monitors its risks and the apprentice will have an active role in collecting this information and keeping it up to date.
Project Management: At any one time the Council undertakes a number of important projects. These may include such things as developing land for housing, changing software systems or negotiating large contracts. The apprentice will be involved in ensuring that the documentation for each of these projects is up to date and properly stored.
Business Continuity: The Council undertakes work to ensure that its services can remain operational in the event of unforeseen circumstances such as, the loss of Council buildings as a result of fire or flooding. The apprentice will be involved in the collecting of business continuity information from teams and in ensuring that this information is kept.
Day-to-day tasks that the apprentice will be undertaking include:
- Receiving and making telephone calls
- Receiving and sending emails
- Recording information (both textual and numerical)
- Updating databases
- Undertaking research to benchmark performance against other local authorities
- Attending meetings
- Photocopying and scanning documents
- Preparing reports for internal and external viewing
- Using a variety of systems and software
- Using Microsoft Office tools including Word documents, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint in order to be able to create and update documents, spreadsheets and databases etc.