Building Control – Technical Assistant
Economy, Planning and Strategic Housing
G3 - 22 hours per week
£20,344 to £25,295 (pro-rata £12,096 to £15,040 for 22 hours per week)
Rushmoor Borough Council Offices, Farnborough, Hampshire
12 month temporary contract
This is an exciting opportunity to work with the Building Control team, who work hard to deliver information on building regulations, demolitions and dangerous structures.
You will be joining a dynamic and friendly team to support this vital work within the boroughs of Rushmoor and Hart.
The job involves
- Provide technical and administrative support to the Building Control Team
- Check Building Regulation Applications on receipt, carry out fee check, measure plans and check for Public Sewers and Contaminated land. Discussing any discrepancies with agent/applicant.
- Enter full plans and building notices etc. onto the Uniform database.
- Enter commencement and completions information onto the Building Control Module.
- Generate letters relating to Building Regulation applications.
- Take telephone calls from builders / developers; discuss requirements; arrange and collate site inspections
- Ensure Building Regulation payments are paid into the correct FMS codes.
- Enter demolition and dangerous structure applications onto Uniform and generate required correspondence.
- Research and retrieve history on properties as and when required.
- Answering telephone enquiries and meeting customers at the Triage point
- Sorting and distributing the incoming and outgoing mail
- Prepare files for scanning and enter onto document management system
- Maintain the filing system
- Anything else as directed by the Building Control Manager
- Able to demonstrate a high standard of literacy and communication skills
- Experience of working within a customer focused environment, preferably in a technical area such as Building Control or Planning.
- Computer literate with appropriate word processing and spreadsheet skills
- Can demonstrate ability to provide solutions to complex problems: reviews and continually improves systems and ways of working
- Ability to plan, prioritise and monitor workloads with a minimum of supervision and achieve regular and consistent outputs and performance targets
- To work effectively as a team member
- Able to work in an evolving area and being adaptable to change
- Ability to work effectively and establish positive relationships with councillors, senior managers, staff, external partners and interest groups in a way that establishes confidence , credibility and trust.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the delivery of the service to meet demands and supports customers appropriately
- Able to communicate effectively with colleagues and customers at all levels, email and telephone.
- The ability to fully utilize standard Microsoft Office products, including Word & Excel is essential