Summerhill Primary School
Poverty Lane, Maghull, L31 3DT
0151 526 1343
Applications can be submitted online or emailed to email@example.com or sent to the address above.
The Governors of Summerhill Primary would like to appoint a Caretaker who wil ensure that all school facilities are in excellent and safe condition with the highest possible standards of cleanliness for use by pupils, staff and visitors.
Support the Head Teacher by taking responsibility for the management of the school premises (ground, premises and contents) including the building maintenance, cleanliness, security and maintenance of furnishings, fixtures plant and heavy equipment. Oversee external contractors working on the designated school site premises.
- To open and close the school at the start and end of the day.
- To carry out routine maintenance and basic repairs and monitor any works that may take place on site.
- To monitor the services provided externally such as grounds maintenance and contractors.
- To respond to call out of alarms etc, outside working hours and school holidays.
- The person appointed will have knowledge and skills relating to buildings maintenance and health and safety requirements in public buildings.
- Experience and skills to carry out repairs and minor building work is essential.
- Commitment and attention to detail are required in order to maintain high standards of cleanliness in a busy crowded environment.
- Positive and supportive relationships with staff and children are essential.
- Monitor utility readings, alarm systems and update fire alarm manuals.
- Operating the heatin plant so that the temperatures are maintained on the school premises and that adequate supply of hot water is available.
Security and Safety
Responsible for the completion of the risk assessment of security risks to the school premises (ground, premises and contents) including vandalism/arson.
- Arrange for security checks to be undertaken and advise on how security risks can be minimised.
- Maintain premises security such that key holding procedures are observed and that premises remain as secure as is practically possible.
- Respond to and accurately record all call out, liaising with the security force and police as appropriate and make premises secure break-ins.
- Knowledge of the safe storage of materials covered by the COSHH regulations.
- Ensure stringent health and safety provision and adherence to safe working practice by all staff
- Ensuring the safe storage of any flammable/toxic substances on site.
- Manage fire safety equipment provision and scheduling of fire and emergence evacuation drills in conjuction with the Head Teacher
- Ensure that the school satisfies Fire Safety recommendations and to make Risk Assessments of fire hazard situations where necessary
- Checking fire equipment, test fire alarms and sounders weekly
- Check all fire fighting equipment in school is maintained in operational condition.
- Checking emergency lighting equipment, testing emergency lighting on a weekly basis.
Manage the prevention of waste and reduce energy consumption throughout the school.
- Ensure lights and other equipment are switched off as appropriate.
- Monitoring the use of electricity, gas, water consumed and ensuring that any equipment connected to these services are left in a safe condition at the end of the school day and during holiday periods.
- Ensure the efficient optimum operation of the school’s heating system, reporting concerns and faults to the to the Head Teacher.
Manage and control cleaning materials and equipment including the ordering, storage and distribution to appropriate personnel.
- Undertake porterage of stock, furniture and equipment as required.
- Responsible for the timely and accurate preparation and use of specialist equipment/resources/materials.
- Ensuring sufficient stock of janitorial materials are maintained e.g. soap, paper towels, toilet rolls, light bulbs etc
- Convey waste produce and paper to the appropriate central refuse area as required and ensure collection as necessary.
- Porterage/messenger duties both within and outside school premises
- Movement of furniture and equipment around school.
Manage a preventative planned maintenance programme including routine inspections of the designated building, fixtures, fittings, premises and grounds to assess for minor work or repairs to be carried out to maintain safe and satisfactory conditions.
- Report all structural, fabric, furnishings, fixtures and equipment defects to the appropriate person.
- Undertake minor/simple repairs as required, e.g. minor plumbing, changing light bulbs, redecorating and fixing etc.
- Liaise with external contractors and monitor their work ensuring it is carried out punctually and to the required standard.
- Monitor the cleanliness of the school premises, liaising with the housekeeping team.
- Ensure that satisfactory levels of caretaking, cleanliness and hygiene are achieved and maintained inside and outside of the school premises.
- Ensure that all buildings and maintenance issues are attended to promptly and efficiently.
- Maintain a safe, clean environment for the benefit of all users of the school site.
- Liaise with building contractors and other agencies concerning repair and maintenance requirements in school.
- Carry out day to day maintenance of the school premises, internal fixtures, fittings and furniture.
- Ensuring that pupil and staff toilets are inspected at least daily to maintain high standards of cleanliness and service with an adequate supply of soap, towels and toilet rolls.
- Removal of debris and leaves from traps, downspouts, waste pipes etc and ensuring that drains and manholes are clean and operational.
- Ensuring that waste pipes to all lavatory basins and sinks are cleared and clean.
- Cleaning duties including litter, spot and emergency cleaning which may be necessary to maintain hygienic standards.
- Clean any windows/glass surfaces which are not cleaned by contract window cleaners.
- Sweep and clear car parks/playground areas to ensure they are always kept free from glass and other hazardous debris.
- Clear litter debris from all school grounds.
- Remove graffiti whenever it appears.
- Other duties of a general site management nature that may be reasonably requested by the Head Teacher to meet the needs of the school.
Support for the School/Organisation
- Manage Health and Safety risk assessments and dissemination and compliance with health and safety policies and procedures.
- Complete all necessary administration, submitting information as required to Senior Leadership Team to aid decision-making.
- Support the school and the governing body in promoting best practise in building maintenance and security issues.
- Opening and closing of the school building at times determined by the governing body, including ensuring that the fire and intruder alarms are fully operational.
- Monitoring the standard of work contractors who provide services to the school e.g. cleaning, grounds maintenance and building maintenance contractors.
- Be aware of and comply with school policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person.
- Be aware of and support difference to help ensure everyone has equal access to the services of the school and feels valued, respecting their social, cultural, linguistic, religious and ethnic background.
- Contribute to the school ethos, aims and development/improvement plan.
- Work as part of a team, appreciating and supporting the role of other people in the team.
- Undertake personal development through training and other learning activities as required.
- Recognise own strengths and areas of expertise and use these to advise and support others.
- Review work practises, complying with Health and Safety, COSHH and Fire Precautions regulations.
- Ensure all caretaking resources are maintained in good condition with adequate stock levels of consumables.
- Complete returns and reports as required.
- Assist in the induction of other support staff as required.
- Manage and, where appropriate, authorise all relevant paperwork, e.g. timesheets prior to forwarding to appropriate person for processing.
- Manage records, information and data producing analysis reports as required.
- Ensure effective team communication, holding regular team meetings with managed staff.
Note In addition to the above, other duties at the same responsibility level may be interchanged with/added to this list at any time.
This job description is a representative document. Other reasonably similar duties may be allocated from time to time commensurate with the general character of the post and it’s grading.
All staff are responsible for the implementation of the Health and Safety Policy as far as it affects them, colleagues and others who may be affected by their work. The postholder is also expected to monitor the effectiveness of the health and safety arrangements and systems to ensure that appropriate improvements are made where necessary.
School has approved a policy on Equal Opportunities in Employment and copies are freely available to all employees.