An exciting opportunity has arisen with Torbay Council to become a Senior Tree and Landscape Officer to provide professional and technical advice with regard to tree, landscape, and green infrastructure impacts and opportunities within the English Riviera.
You will work within a small skilled and dedicated team of professionals that protect and enhance the area, from parks and green spaces, playgrounds and leisure services, Public Rights of Way, Facilities Management and leading on the management for Tree and Woodlands.
Located on the English Riviera. Torbay has three towns Torquay, Paignton and Brixham and is a very diverse Unitary Authority. Torbay is proud of its urban Forest. Torbay’s urban forest (iTree) was the first to be studied in the UK, Torbay has around 818,000 trees, covering 11.8% of its land area with direct responsibility for trees across parks, highways and housing. These trees have a structural (or replacement) value of around £280 million. The Council own and manage over 361 hectares of green space, 92 hectares of woodland and manages over 73 miles of Public rights of way.
You will work with a highly motivated Planning and Regeneration Team dedicated to protecting and enhancing the English Riviera.
Torbay Council is leading into a new contract for Grounds Maintenance and Tree & Woodland Services. The role will help shape the partnership development and implementation of the new service.
The role will have responsibility for continued review of all tree related policies and procedures to continue with the management and development of Torbay’s urban forest.
Local Government has had a challenging few years with budget realignment, the role has the opportunity to shape resources to meet 21st Century management systems.
As the lead officer, you will have the responsibility for the day to day running of the service area budget management, service enquiries. You will be able to present briefings to Senior managers and Councillors to promote the wider benefit of trees.
- To take responsibility in providing council departments, key organisations and members of the public with professional and technical advice in relation to trees and green infrastructure
- Engage with Committees as stakeholders on the protection and enhancement of trees within Torbay’s and wider urban forest
- Continue with the work completed in the development of the wider review and findings with Torbay’s i-Tree ecosystems project
- Share technical expertise with the team and work closely with other teams
Do You Have What It Takes?
Essential Skills and Experience
- You will have a relevant high level qualification (degree or equivalent); Arboriculture, planning, landscape architecture, countryside management or similar. (National Qualification Framework Level 4 minimum qualification in Arboriculture or equivalent.
- Practical knowledge of urban tree management and the latest processes of cyclical tree management and partner working relationships.
- Working knowledge of the preparation of and practical implementation of the conclusions of Torbay’s i-Tree ecosystems mapping project.
- Knowledge of at least one specific form of tree risk management technique
- Expert tree species identification skills and ability to prescribe best practise planting to ensure rapid tree establishment.
- Advanced knowledge within the discipline of general tree health, including identification of pests and diseases, production of plant health care programmes and ongoing development and advocacy of best practise for the management of health and safety issues that may arise as a consequence of outbreaks of disease.
- You will be able to demonstrate your ability to lead a team and offer guidance where problems arise in order to deliver the service and maintain high levels of customer satisfaction.
- You will be experienced in dealing with the public, providing advice on projects where tree protection is paramount whilst working to deliver solutions to issues arising in order that the projects can be delivered.
- You will have experience in the production of contract documentation in line with OJEU processes and will be able to demonstrate a proven track record of contract management and monitoring.
- You will be able to demonstrate a sound and comprehensive CPD record of seminars and working groups relevant to arboriculture.
- The Council has a long standing licence with Ezytreev tree management software to improve service efficiency and productivity, so experience of working with such systems would be an advantage.
What we offer
We are one of the largest employers in Torbay (Brixham, Paignton and Torquay). We are committed to making a difference in our community and delivering high quality, value for money services to local people. To achieve this we only recruit the best - people who are forward-thinking, adaptable with a clear customer orientated focus and who always act with integrity. In return, you will receive excellent employment terms and conditions and the opportunity to work for an organisation that recognises and values the contributions of its employees.
At Torbay, we are very proud to have a workforce that is committed and hard-working. In return we can offer the following:
- Twenty Five (25) days annual leave plus additional bank holidays and extra days for long service
- Equal pay
- A Career Average Re-valued Earnings (CARE) pension scheme through Peninsula Pensions
- A diverse range of career opportunities
- Work Life Balance options including a flexi-scheme, career break scheme, home working, flexible retirement
- Family friendly benefits such flexible working and access to childcare vouchers, paid maternity, adoption and paternity leave schemes (where eligible), paid leave for fertility treatment
- Equal Opportunities policies
- Competitive salaries
- A healthy work environment which includes an Occupational Health and Counselling Services and a range of well-being activities on-site;
- Employee Reward Scheme - i-Gain staff benefit scheme – includes childcare vouchers, Cycle to Work Scheme, access to high street shopping vouchers and online discount codes
- Professional Coaching Service for employees development
- Learning and development opportunities to support personal and career development
- Professional membership to affiliated professional body is offered.
Living and working in Devon and Torbay.
More information can be found on the following websites:
For an informal discussion please contact Neil Coish on 01803 207638.
Please note – If you have seen this position advertised on a Jobs Board that asks you to submit a CV, we do not advertise on these sites and we do not accept CV’s.
We only accept Applications for Employment on a Torbay Council Application form.
Closing date: 06/05/19