We are Watford Borough Council, a public sector organisation dedicated to making the Watford area a great place to work and live.
It’s an exciting time to join us, as we’re currently undergoing a transformation programme which aims to create a customer-focused, digitally-enabled and commercially-minded organisation for the future.
We’re currently looking for a Principal Solicitor to join our busy Legal Department and provide advice on all matters affecting services across the council.
- Salary of £42,500 - £46,465 (including London Weighting)
- Pension scheme with generous employer contribution
- Flexible working
- Career development opportunities
- Season ticket loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounted leisure centre membership
- Employee volunteering schemes
- Access to a branded shopping discounts platform and discounted activities and days out
- 28 days’ holiday (rising to 33 with service)
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a forward-thinking organisation during an exciting period of growth. With £1.4 billion of local investment, five major development and regeneration projects and many major international head offices, Watford is the place to be.
In this challenging, yet highly-rewarding role, you’ll have the chance to get involved with a broad range of legal work, including regeneration projects, conveyancing, commercial property, contracts and litigation and planning.
Joining a department that holds both Lexcel and Investors in People accreditations, you’ll have the chance to share your knowledge with a passionate team and build on your existing expertise.
As a Principal Solicitor, you will provide legal advice, guidance and support to Watford Borough Council.
Managing a small team of Law Advisors, you will:
- Draft complex commercial leases, development agreements and contracts
- Provide advice on commercial property transactions and regeneration schemes, including joint ventures
- Undertake disposals and acquisitions
- Carry out legal research
To join us as a Principal Solicitor, you’ll need:
- A licence to practice as a solicitor or barrister within England and Wales
- Previous experience in a legal environment
- Experience of commercial property purchasing, leasing and conveyancing
- Previous experience of line management or of supervising and mentoring a colleague
Other organisations may call this role Senior Legal Advisor, Legal Team Manager, Qualified Lawyer, Qualified Solicitor, Qualified Barrister, Principal Legal Advisor or Lawyer.
Webrecruit and Watford Borough Council are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you’re seeking a fresh, new challenge as a Principal Solicitor, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Working hours: 37 hours per week