Looking for a rewarding new role that offers flexible and family-friendly working options?
You’ve found it – and plenty more. It’s your chance to join a friendly and supportive team of people who work together to make a positive difference for everyone in Reading. Join us, and you can look forward to excellent training and development opportunities too, so you can grow your skills and build a great future with us.
About the role:
We require an enthusiastic and motivated individual to identify former tenants and other housing related debtors who have arrears. This will involve tracing individuals to initiate recovery action using a range of methods, also offering advice and support to those who are experiencing difficulties.
The post holder will be required to take legal action against those who repeatedly break agreements and/or miss payments, within the legislation and the Council’s policies. The post holder will work closely with colleagues in Debt Advice Team, Housing Officers, Welfare Reform Team and other council sections and outside agencies.
Other main duties of this role are:
- Carry out the tenancy sign up interview which will include an explanation of the legal responsibilities of the Council and the tenant
- Carry out an assessment of entitlement to Welfare Benefits
- Promote the Debt advice service
- Visit debtors/tenants who live within the Borough to recover arrears or resolve any debtor or tenancy related issues
- Calculate repair charges and apply those charges to the relevant debtors accounts, whilst taking immediate steps as per the procedure to prevent further charges occurring.
- Previous experience of working to targets
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills will be essential to this role.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- 24 days holiday plus public holidays (rising to 32 after service)
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loans
- A range of local discounts
If you would like an informal discussion please contact Sam Bainbrigge, Tenant Services Team Leader on 0118 937 3020.
Internal Reading Borough Council employees must login via Employee Self Service to apply. If you have not yet been issued with your Employee Self Service account, or you have any queries, please email EmployeeSelfService@reading.gov.uk with details.
Visit http://www.reading.gov.uk/jobsearch for more details on how to apply online. Alternatively, call the Recruitment Team on 0118 937 2757 quoting the job reference number and the job title of the post you are interested in.
Please do not send a CV: for the purposes of equal opportunities, we can only accept Reading Borough Council application forms.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
Closing date: 18 March 2019
Please note that these dates are indicative at this stage and may be subject to change