Centrally located in the Thames Gateway, Gravesham Borough Council provides a range of services to over 95,000 people and 3,000 businesses.
The Borough of Gravesham, situated in the north west corner of Kent, covers 25,000 acres of the most varied countryside in south east England.
Bordered by the River Thames to the north, it is at the heart of Thames Gateway and has a significant role to play in the regeneration of a major government growth area.
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to delivering to the community and working with us means you are part of delivering the level of growth and improvement our community needs and deserves.
To successfully complete a range of skilled horticultural and ground maintenance duties to ensure the council’s parks, open spaces and housing communal gardens are maintained to a high standard. The post operates across a range of sites throughout the borough and the work undertaken may vary depending on seasons.
Undertake a range of specialist tasks including:
- Grass cutting using ride on cylinder or rotary mowers, hand mowers and strimmers
- Shrub pruning and hedge cutting using hedge cutters and hand tools
- Soil cultivation; digging, forking, mulching, raking, weeding, edging.
- Prepare, plant and maintain annual bedding beds.
- Shrub and tree planting
- Clearing leaves and litter, including the use of a leaf blower.
- Assisting with tree works using shredders, chippers and stump grinders as necessary
- Application of herbicides and pesticides and be competent in keeping accurate spraying records
- Basic maintenance of horticultural plant and machinery
- Emptying of litter and dog bins as required
- Litter picking of sites and wider areas as required
- Watering of trees, shrubs and bedding displays using vehicle mounted water bowser.
- To carry out gritting, salt spreading and snow clearing, as necessary, during bad weather.
- Experience in using horticultural machinery including ride on mowing machinery such as Randsomes triple
- Relevant horticultural experience and knowledge
- Experience of carrying out a manual and physically demanding job in all weathers
- Full driving licence
- Experience in towing trailers with the relevant B + E entitlement
- PA1 and PA6 spraying licence
- Experience or qualification in small plant servicing and maintenance
In return we offer you:
Childcare vouchers and discounts
Government-approved, tax-efficient way of paying for childcare. You can use vouchers to pay for a wide variety of childcare for children up to the age of 16. Discounts at selected retailers in the town centre and reduced membership at local Leisure Centers.
A generous holiday entitlement, plus paid bank holidays.
In-house and external training including non-qualification, Continued Personal Development (CPD), NVQ and other qualification training.
Employee Assistance Programme
The Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) is a free and confidential support service, offering you unlimited access to advice and information as well as coaching and counselling where appropriate.
Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, the service is there to help you manage all of life's events and support you through the challenges. Their expert advisers are there to help,
whenever you need them. Support on the telephone, online and face to face.
Cycle to work
By working with us you'll typically save between 31% and 48% of the retail cost of bikes and accessories. You can find out more on the Cycle Solutions website.
A very secure pension scheme which both you and we pay into. More information can be found on the Local Government Pension Scheme website.
An on-site Occupational Health Advisor. We have an occupational health service provided by East Kent Hospitals University Foundation NHS Trust. The service is delivered by a team of health professionals who specialise in occupational medicine and deal with the relationship between your work and your health. Occupational Health also works with us to resolve any issues in the workplace and also to ensure that well-being at work is maintained.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager call Martin Wates on 01474 337663.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Gravesham Borough Council is working towards equal opportunities and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.