We are looking for an apprentice to work in the Environmental Services Team. This means you would be working with colleagues who deal with the external contractors for Waste Management, Commercial Waste, Street Cleansing, Grounds Maintenance and Enforcement. You will support with management of contracts and projects.
As the Apprentice you would be working in the Council offices working with a small team in an administrative role. You will be dealing with customers, the contractors, our Councillors and other members of the public as well as colleagues from around the Council. This role is very varied, so as well as dealing with issues we face on a daily basis, one day you might be speaking to a contractor about a mattress dumped in a country lane and the next day talking to a new business owner about paying for a trade waste collection. By working in this team, you will gain knowledge on how to effectively support the management of contracts and projects and get support in developing the necessary skills for this.
Additionally the Apprentice will have the opportunity to gain experience in and knowledge of the full range of activities which are provided by the wider Contracted Services Team.
To work with Waste Management, Commercial Waste, Street Cleansing, Grounds Maintenance and Enforcement you will learn how these services operate on a daily basis, managing the contracts and dealing with customer issues. This role doesn't mean you would be working on a bin lorry or in a waste recycling plant or out and about mowing the grass, but it does mean you would be involved in supporting major Council contracts. You will learn key skills in contract management, communication, data management and the working procedures of a Council.
Tasks the Apprentice will be undertaking will include:
• Receiving and making telephone calls, these can come from the Customer Service Contact Centre, Councillors, businesses, schools, members of the public, other organisations and our Contractor
• Conducting site visits with a colleague to understand how we monitor the contractor and inspect service requests on the different services we cover
• Working on the fly tipping prevention campaign and understanding the process of identifying evidence and the process of enforcement
• Understanding about the chargeable green waste service offered by the Council, and deal with enquiries and service issues
• Working with external trade waste services and actively promote this through leaflets, the website and phone calls from customers
• Learning about the Grounds Maintenance Service works in order to be able to deal with customer issues
• Visiting the depot/bulking yard/composting facility
• Dealing with issues on the IDOX document management system
• Using the Lagan CRM system for customer contact
• Using photocopiers, filing, indexing documents, and using scanning equipment
• Use of document management software
• Using Microsoft Office tools including Word, Excel, and Outlook in order to be able to update existing documents and create new documents, letters, communications, etc.