Mendip is a place for investment, a place for business and a place for opportunity.
Our economy has forged ahead despite prevailing uncertainty; as a Council, we have innovated and transformed to ensure our reputation for service excellence continues. We have restructured our corporate management team to create a new tier of management; as Group Manager, Growth & Planning you will lead and develop our key place shaping services and partnerships to deliver business growth, employment and investment while protecting and enhancing the unique assets and heritage of our district.
About the role
By creating the conditions that help businesses flourish, Mendip is committed to creating opportunities for all. Reporting to the Deputy Chief Executive you will bring together the economic development and planning services to develop a fully rounded approach to shaping the future success of the district. This will be done through effective place shaping, the provision of strong support to the business sector and the delivery of high quality planning outcomes to support economic development and housing delivery. Building on our strong relationships with partners in the business and public sectors, including the Heart of the South West LEP and Somerset County Council, your successful collaboration will ensure our economy develops sustainably to grow local productivity and prosperity.
Succeed in this critical post and you will:
- Deliver the Mendip Economic Development Strategy including the formation of five town economic partnerships, commercial master planning of Shepton Mallet, regeneration of Saxonvale in Frome and delivery of business start up hub spaces across key towns
- Secure the adoption of Local Plan Part 2
- Lead the review, reshape and adoption of a new Local Plan Part 1
- Take forward the new structure for the development management service, making best use of the increased resources including the appointments to new staff posts, to offer more effective outcomes to applicants
- Champion Mendip as the right place to fund infrastructure, connectivity and technology initiatives that support further economic growth
Group Managers play a vital role within Mendip’s Corporate Management Team structure. They have a high level of autonomy and are expected to lead and oversee the diverse range of services falling within their remit, thus releasing the capacity of the Deputy Chief Executives to focus on a number of complex internal and external strategic issues. We expect all of our Group Managers to be transformational leaders and managers, able to work across systems, partnerships and corporate structures to secure fantastic outcomes for residents. You will need to be strategically capable, contributing to shaping and implementing the Council’s future direction.
For this post in particular, you will have a background in economic development, regeneration or planning and a track record of securing growth and prosperity in a leadership role. Partnership working will be a key strength, as will working collaboratively with the business sector to build market confidence. Agile and driven in your approach, you will bring integrity, resilience, passion and customer focus to all your work, engendering these traits in your teams through your inspirational leadership and management.
How to apply
For further information or to apply please click the link below.
The closing date for applications is Monday 18th February.