** Please note ** On 1 November 2018, it was announced by the government that the five councils in Buckinghamshire will become a Single Unitary Authority in April 2020 [Aylesbury Vale DC, Buckinghamshire CC, Chiltern DC, South Bucks DC and Wycombe DC]. Any changes made to the structure of local authorities in the County may affect council employees in the future. Therefore, the five councils have agreed to restrict applications to this position to current employees of the five councils for a period of seven days from 28 January to 3 February 2019. External candidates are welcome to submit their applications at any point, however, if a current employee applies during this seven day period, their application will be assessed prior to the council considering applications from external candidates.
Finance and Commercial Department
Following a restructure of its Finance function, the Council has added a new role of Chief Accountant who can enhance the regulatory and financial accounting function within the Council.
You will report directly to the Deputy Head of Finance and lead a team of 3 to deliver the statutory accounting function including external audit process for the Council, the development and maintenance of the General Ledger and Treasury Management Systems, provision of Tax and VAT advice and the Treasury Management function of the council.
Your experience is expected to contribute positively to the strategic development of the accounting and finance function, but also to the development of staff which is an important requirement as we seek to build long term accounting capability and a good platform for internal succession.
- Manage the production of Statutory Accounts and external audit process.
- Enhance integrity of general ledger through regular monitoring and reconciliations of balance sheet accounts.
- Assess the impact of the Local Government financial settlement, Housing and Economic growth changes on Council’s finances.
- Oversee the provision of VAT/ Tax advice to the Council, ensure compliance with partial-exemption threshold and the completion of returns to HMRC.
- Responsible for the administration, maintenance enhancement and development of all the systems used to deliver finance function.
- Responsible for Council’s Treasury Management with an investment portfolio of around £80m and Banking services.
- Manage the Insurance function for the Council.
The successful candidate must be CCAB qualified with post qualification experience of working within a large organisation. This role offers you the opportunity to develop personally and broaden your professional experience.
Due to the nature of this post, it is exempt under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and a standard DBS check will be carried out.
For an informal discussion about the job, please contact Hasina Shah, Deputy Head of Finance on 01494 421972.
We offer a generous benefits package including private healthcare, flexible working and pension scheme.
Closing date: Sunday 17 February 2019
As an equal opportunity employer we welcome applications from all sectors of the community.