Salary dependant on skills and experience but up to £38,178 pa plus Lease Car or Cash Alternative of £3,050 pa
Are you an experienced Conservation Officer? Or do you have less experience but the capacity to grow in the role?
This is a great career opportunity to establish a high profile and a strong reputation working for a Council that genuinely values the importance listed buildings and conservation areas. With an adopted Heritage Strategy Ashford is home to the greatest number of listed buildings amongst local authorities in Kent (over 2,300) and has significantly higher numbers of Grade I and Grade II* buildings, 42 scheduled monuments and 6 Registered Parks and Gardens. There is also an amazing variety of buildings and structures, including well preserved mediaeval hall houses, farmsteads, country houses, moated sites, a mediaeval college, a “castle”, locomotive workshops, an Archbishop’s Palace and even a WWI tank.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Officer who is passionate about history, architecture and our heritage to complement our existing Development Management team
As an experienced Conservation Officer you will:
- Be involved in large-scale planning applications for all aspects of our Heritage. Jointly take the lead role in fulfilling the council’s statutory obligations in relation to the Conservation of the Built environment. Act as case officer for a wide variety of listed building applications of varying complexity and as and when required attend Planning Committee to provide specialist advice
- Help support and complete work at adjoining authorities.
As an officer wanting to develop your career you will;
- Be a graduate in planning, architecture or building surveying and preferably have an additional qualification in conservation. Assist case officers in Listed Building appeals and enforcement matters
In both cases you will be able to demonstrate:
- A good understanding of current legislation / case law concerning listed building matters A good knowledge of architectural history, construction and methods of repair Ability to work to agreed timeframes and on your own initiative Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
You will be required to have a Full UK Driving License. Membership of the IHBC is desirable.
We can offer
- Support to develop your potential by providing you with a broad experience in listed building matters in a rural and urban environment An excellent car lease or cash alternative package Local Government Pension Scheme Flexible working A great place to live just 38 minutes from London
For an informal discussion please contact, the Recruitment Team on 01233 330205 or emial firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 11.02.2019
To apply please complete visit the jobs page of our website and complete an application at www.ashford.gov.uk/jobs
Ashford Borough Council recognises the need to ensure the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults when they come into contact with the services we provide.