Do you recognise that effective planning is a vital tool in delivering successful community growth? Would you like to work in a thriving economy, embarking on a period of increased development and a challenging portfolio of major Government infrastructure projects? If so, come and use your skills and knowledge to help shape the future development of the Falkland Islands for many years to come.
We are looking to expand our planning team with the recruitment of two new team members - a Senior Planning Officer and Planning Officer.
You will support the Head of the Planning and Building Services in delivering the department's planning functions, by taking responsibility for a challenging and varied development management caseload ranging from householder developments, single dwellings and commercial development proposals.
Ideally you will have a wide range of development management experience covering all aspects of the planning process including experience with pre-application discussions, providing recommendations, preparing committee reports and presenting to committee as required.
You will assist in providing a high quality, customer-focused planning service delivering timely and quality decisions, processing pre-application enquries and working on a range of complex planning applications.
- At least two years post-qualification experience in Planning / Development Management (three years for Senior role).
- Degree in Planning and Membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute (MRTPI) or equivalent.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, able to produce reports for senior management.
- Experience of working collaboratively with service users and dealing with members of the public.
- Effective ICT skills, with knowledge of Microsoft Office and GIS.
- Valid manual driving license.
- Initial 2-4 Years Fixed Term Contract, with potential for extension by mutual agreement.
- Salary Range: £30-44k, starting salaries will be dependent upon experience and grade.
- 25% Gratuity, paid upon successful completion of the contract.
- 30 Days Annual Leave, plus government and public holidays (totalling 41 days leave).
- Relocation Allowance, to help with moving costs.
- Flights Package for you and your dependents, including mid-term return flight home.
- Government Housing for rent at a subsidised rate and a starter pack to help you settle in.
How to Apply
Please complete an online application via our online vacancy page, by clicking on the 'Apply Online' button and completing the form.
Applications will be open until 16.00 UK Time, 13.00 Falklands Time on Monday 21st January.
If you have any questions about this vacancy and how to apply, you can contact our HR team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, CVs sent directly via email will not be considered without a completed application form.
The Working Environment
Planning & Building Services
A small, friendly department in Stanley, Planning and Building Services delivers statutory planning and building control functions, provides statutory environmental functions, co-ordinates the delivery, monitoring and review of the Biodiversity Framework and Waste Management Action Plan, administers grant schemes and advances environmental good practice and sustainable use of natural resources within the Falkland Islands.
Development & Commercial Services
The Development & Commercial Services directorate is responsible for the development of ‘Place’ across the Falkland Islands, ensuring that the activities of Planning, Development, Regeneration, Leisure Services, Corporate Programmes and Procurement operate in a co-ordinated manner to efficiently and effectively enable the achievement of the Government’s priorities and successful delivery of the National Infrastructure Plan.
Falkland Islands Government (FIG)
The Falkland Islands is a British Overseas Territory, with full internal self-government.
As the largest employer in the Falkland Islands, we offer many unique and fulfilling job opportunities, across the full spectrum of public services. Our responsibilities include those typically managed by central government – taxation, legislation and policy, as well as those usually managed on a local level such as town planning, health and social services, and education. FIG also provides services specific to the needs of the Falkland Islands, such as fisheries research, power generation and the Government Air Service, FIGAS.
The Falkland Islands
Set in the South Atlantic Ocean, around 400 miles east of South America and 8000 miles south-west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a British way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins, all seen from the shore.
For those with a sense of adventure, it provides opportunities which are hard to match anywhere else in the world.
For more information about working for Falkland Islands Government, take a look at our recruitment microsite: www.jobs.gov.fk