Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council. So if you’re looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.
This is a full time exciting role, working within a dynamic fast paced finance team. This post will be a key part of the Finance Service, managing a team of 4, working on Final Accounts processes, co-ordination of Statutory Financial and Grant returns, and delivery of the monthly Revenue and Capital Monitoring reporting.
Working within the Corporate Team the role will have daily interaction with other areas within finance, ensuring consistency of reporting and coordinating requests for information. The role requires methodical, analytical thinking, with the ability to look at the holistic picture. You will need specialist knowledge on statutory financial reporting requirements, together with relevant experience in the production of the Statement of Accounts.
This role will need to develop strong working relationships with other finance professionals and with internal and external auditors. It requires strong interpersonal skills, being able to communicate complex issues in an understandable manner, and to manage the team to ensure delivery of key information by set deadlines.
- Acting as the MKC lead on the production of the Council’s Accounts ensuring that; statutory reporting requirements and timelines are met; audit queries are addressed; and the Annual Governance statement is completed in coordination with Internal Audit.
- Managing the preparation of key financial processes (such as regular monthly budget forecasting and reporting, monthly capital reporting and statutory accounting)
- Co-ordinating the preparation of statutory returns.
- Effectively performance managing staff and participating fully in staff and management development.
Experience, Qualifications and any Mandatory Requirements
- You will be a qualified CCAB Accountant, with post-qualification local government experience
- Have an up to date knowledge of accounting rules including IFRS, and, a broad knowledge of CIPFA codes of practice.
- Have experience of managing and developing staff
- A background in financial management and reporting
Key Skills Required
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate complex financial issues to members, non-financial managers, senior officers and external organisations
- Ability to apply innovative and creative thinking to complex service challenges
- Ability to inspire and motivate the team and generate a positive working environment
- Enthusiastic and resilient and able to convey enthusiasm to others
Milton Keynes Council Benefits
Use your skills to benefit the local community and experience a rewarding, interesting environment and attractive employment package such as:
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates.
- A generous minimum holiday entitlement of 27 days per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years.
- Option to buy more annual leave.
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Excellent in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership and Management.
- Fair pay and a commitment to a minimum Living Wage.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings including retail, travel and leisure discounts as well as a suite of salary sacrifice benefits.
For further details and to apply, please visit and upload your CV and covering letter on the Milton Keynes Council Careers website https://bit.ly/2Ac7VmZ
Closing Date: 20 January 2019
At Milton Keynes Council we take great pride in our Community and we hope that you can help us grow and share our vision.