About Watford Borough Council
Watford is an urban borough in South West Hertfordshire. The borough has excellent transport links with mainline rail connections to London. Watford is the centre of a sub region serving around 500,000 people living within a 20 minute travelling time catchment. As part of the London commuter belt Watford is strongly influenced by London which brings the benefits of a buoyant economy.
Watford is currently undergoing a transformation programme which aims create a customer-focused, digitally-enabled and commercially-minded organisation of the future.
The Housing Service department have an opportunity for a Housing Caseworker to join the team that have recently achieved the NPSS Bronze Award and continue to progress.
The Housing Caseworker will assist in managing demand for the council’s housing services while offering advice and assistance to members of the public.
The successful candidate will manage both customer and client expectations and aim to retain the customers’ existing accommodation or provide access to the full range of alternative housing options which may be available to them across all tenures.
A significant element of the role will involve hosting interviews, investigations and where appropriate, home visits in respect of households who present to the council with a housing need. The role will also include the ability to effectively utilise available funding in a proportionate manner for the purpose of preventing homelessness or helping to secure alternative accommodation in the private sector.
Effectively engaging with a range of stakeholders will occur on a daily basis and building rapport with various clients is instrumental. The candidate will also make decisions on cases where clients have approached as homeless or threatened with homelessness within 56 days and follow up decision in writing.
What we are looking for:-
• An experienced housing caseworker who can demonstrate the ability to draft S.184 decisions letters
• A passion for housing and customer service with excellent communication, negotiations and persuasion skills. A can do attitude towards problem solving will be evident.
• An in-depth knowledge of the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017 as well as working experience of applying the Act, including reviewing personalised housing plans.
• Ability to demonstrate good working knowledge of associated case law, the Code of Guidance and ending the different duties.
• Wide experience of investigating and interviewing clients with various housing problems and especially those with complex needs.
What we offer:-
We offer an excellent benefits package, including competitive salary, 28 days holiday - rising to 33 days, a generous employer contribution pension scheme, flexible working, career development, season ticket loan, cycle-to-work scheme, discounted leisure centre membership, employee volunteering schemes and access to Edenred branded shopping discounts platform, and discounted activities and days out.