Member Services Research Assistant
Salary from £22,740 to £24,894 pa
We are looking for an experienced and credible individual who is committed to providing a proactive and efficient research and communications support service to the Leader and Cabinet. This role is central to assisting in developing and maintaining office management systems, including filing and electronic databases, assisting in the preparation of member training and implementation of an induction programme for the new council along with:
- Undertaking research, preparing briefings and support to Members in their day-to-day activities.
- Customising presentation of data for the intended audience.
- Fully supporting Members so that they are able to undertake their duties efficiently and effectively.
This is an exciting opportunity to use your strong organisational skills across a variety of functions together with your:
- Knowledge of the issues affecting local government.
- Knowledge of current UK politics and the policies of major parties particularly as they affect local government.
- Capacity to work well under pressure, work proactively and manage competing demands.
- Ability to persuade and influence at the highest level.
Excellent communication skills is a must and political awareness is desirable as you will be liaising with members of the public, and politicians; you will need to be confident as well as sensitive and diplomatic. You must be able to work to deadlines whilst under pressure, maintaining a high degree of accuracy and confidentiality and work well within a team.
For an informal discussion please contact: Vivien Williams, Head of Legal and Democratic Services on 01233 330230
Shortlisted candidates will be expected to prepare a paper (title of paper to be provided at the time of invitation to interview) of 1500 words to submit to the panel for discussion in the interview.
Closing date: 20.01.2019 Interviews will be held on 05.02.2019
To view a job description and to apply please visit the jobs page of our website on www.ashford.gov.uk
Ashford Borough Council recognises the need to ensure the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults when they come into contact with the services we provide.