The Integrated Transport Unit brings together the council’s responsibilities for public transport, fleet management and home to school transport and fleet management. This team is responsible for organising home to school transport for circa 3000 eligible pupils across the council area (and on occasion to neighbouring counties) working closely with our colleagues in education and social care.
We have an exciting opportunity for two people to join our busy team as Transport Planning Officers.
You would be responsible for:
- Planning appropriate home to school routes and commissioning transport.
- Contribute to transport policy development and undertake related projects
- Promote sustainable travel initiatives and provide advice to stakeholders
- Supporting the wider remit of the team in Fleet management, and public transport.
You will need to have qualifications to at least level 6 in the National qualifications framework in a subject related to transportation, engineering, planning or educational special needs to provide an understanding of the practical work requirements, relevant experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications; In addition you should have:
- Knowledge and experience of passenger route planning in compliance with statutory requirements of a council in provision of home to school transport and principles of sustainable travel
- Ability to use software packages both for standard Microsoft Office and specialist digital mapping such as GIS and Earthlight. (training to be provided)
- Good communication skills to work effectively with colleagues, contractors and other major stakeholders.
- Successful problem solving experience
- Demonstrable team working skills
Appointment will be made within the career grades based on competency and experience.
For an informal discussion, please contact Carl Nicholson on Telephone number 01275 882935 or email Carl.Nicholson@n-somerset.gov.uk
Anticipated interview date: Wednesday 19 December 2018 (an alternative date can be available upon request)
North Somerset Council is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all sections of our community regardless of age, disability, gender, race, religion, belief or sexual orientation. North Somerset Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.