An opportunity has arisen for a Business Support Officer to provide pro-active support around access to records for service users and ex service users, who have requested sight of their records and information we hold on them through a Subject Access Request (SAR)under the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation).
Hours: Full time - 37 hours
Location: Whitehawk Community Hub
Contract: Fixed Term to 27 April 2019
Main advert detail
As part of the Subject Access Request Team, you will be responsible for collating and redacting data to be provided to the Data Subject (client).
This is an exciting role delving into the archived files of Children’s Social Work Services Care cases, dating as far back as the 1950s to present day.
Using our electronic redaction software, you will be reading , analysing and deciding what can be shared what needs to be removed (redacted) typically in relation to third parties and what should remain and be provided to the client.
You will have good communication skills as well as experience of using a wide range of Microsoft office packages including word and excel.
You will have experience of working in a busy office environment with ability to prioritise your workload around the demands of the service while still managing to meet strict deadlines.
You will need good technical skills and an ability to solve problems. Computers are an essential part of working with records today, so you will need to understand them and be comfortable using them.
- Research, Inputting and retrieval of data on service based IT system.
- A flexible, adaptable approach to work with ability to multi task effectively according to business priorities
- Ability to deal with confidential information tactfully and with discretion
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Competent in working with Outlook and Microsoft Office packages
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Proactive and Resourceful
- Record and monitor new and existing Subject Access Requests
- Excellent organisational skills due to the volume of data handled
Our offer to Business Support Officers:
- career average pension scheme
- 23 days leave a year, rising to 27 days after 5 years’ service
- 1-2-1 support from the Access to Records Co-Ordinator
- A program of learning and development opportunities through our Learning Gateway
- An online toolbox of resources to support the work of the Business Support Officer
- Peer support from other business support colleagues across the service
- Benefits such as : bus ticket and cycle loans; reduced cost gym membership with Freedom Leisure.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community but particularly encourage applicants from a BME or White Other background as well as those who identify as disabled, LGB, male or trans as these groups are currently under-represented in our Directorate workforce.
For an informal discussion or more information about the role please contact:
Sharron Frost, Business Support Manager
Brighton & Hove City Council does not accept CV or resume.
Please note that this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, and is subject to a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check.
As part of Brighton & Hove City Council’s ongoing commitment to redeployment, please note that this vacancy may be withdrawn at any stage of the recruitment process, without prior notice if a suitable redeployee (internal employee at risk of redundancy) is identified.
For council employees:We would be happy to consider anyone who would like to apply on the basis of a secondment from their substantive job. If you would like to apply on the basis of a secondment please get the agreement from your manager before applying.