We are expanding our Special Educational Needs (SEN) Team within Thurrock Council’s children’s services and are currently recruiting for a SEN Statutory Performance & Tribunal Officer. This is an exciting opportunity to make a significant contribution to the lives of children in Thurrock. You will work closely with families and support the delivery of an outstanding service, leading to improved outcomes for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).
As a SEN Statutory Performance & Tribunal Officer you will:
- Manage the performance of the Statutory SEN Service in relation to assessment and provision for children with Special Educational
- Manage the cases and represent the Local Authority at the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Tribunal (SENDIST) and mediation.
- Provide advice and information to the Local Authority regarding the needs of pupils with SEND.
- Represent the Local Authority and liaise with Parents, Young People, Schools and Academies around the completion and amendment of Education Health Care Plans, including issues of Resources and Placement.
- Ensure there are robust systems in place within the Statutory Service for SEND, so that Children and Young People achieve their identified outcomes, including key liaison with School Improvement services.
- Participate in a range of meetings and working groups related to SEN and Disab
- Directly line manage two SEND Team Leaders.
- Have knowledge of the SENDIST and mediation process, the SEN Code of Practice, SEN statutory duties of the Local Authority and Disability Legislation relating to schools and Local Authorities.
- Have knowledge of a wide range of interventions to support pupils with Special Educational Needs.
- A commitment to outstanding standards of customer care and service delivery and supporting the equal opportunity strategy working to resolve inequalities experienced by those in contact with the SEN service.
A full list of the experience, skills and abilities required, along with the profile of the job, can be found in the below document.
In return Thurrock Council offer a competitive salary and benefits including:
- Generous annual leave entitlement – 25 days rising to 30 after 5 years’ service
- Flexible working to enable work life balance
- Reflective supervision and management support
- Excellent training opportunities and an established CPD programme
A Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check is required at an Enhanced Level for this post.
Please note that interviews will be commencing on the 7th January 2019.
Our vision – An ambitious and collaborative community which is proud of its heritage and excited by its diverse opportunities and future.
Thurrock is an exciting place to live and work. We are an emerging cultural and arts centre, home to the production centre for the Royal Opera House and the National Skills Academy for Creative and Cultural Skills. We have retail and leisure that is among the best, with the magnificent intu Lakeside, and breath-taking countryside all around. There is over 1,000 acres of land ready for commercial development and there are likely to be 30,000 new homes built with transport links that can get you into London and other parts of the UK quickly and easily.
We are an area of massive growth; £6bn has already been invested by the private sector in Thurrock. We have seen 7,000 new jobs created, with a further 30,000 anticipated in the next 20 years, and 1,170 new businesses in the borough, with leading centres in ports and logistics, retail and creative industries.
Thurrock Council is an Investors in People (IIP) Gold accredited organisation and committed to equal opportunities. As a Disability Confident Employer, disabled people will be offered an interview where they meet all essential criteria on the person specification. We champion flexible working and job share applications are welcome.
We serve a diverse community where people are different yet equal. Diversity underpins everything we do.
How to Apply
Please apply online by clicking Apply. Please note, we do not accept CVs. If you have any difficulties in submitting an application form please email email@example.com.