Senior Infrastructure Engineer
£50,785 - £52,732 inc market supplement (PO5)
Permanent - Full Time
We’re looking for great people who want to develop their careers with us and help us to become the most user-centred IT and digital team in the country
Hackney is London's most diverse and dynamic borough. Reaching from the Square Mile to Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, this is an area of rapid economic growth, particularly in technology, media, fashion and other creative industries. Hackney has more green spaces than any other inner London borough; some of the capital's finest schools; first class transport connections; excellent public services; and thriving arts, cultural and retail sectors. We seek people with ambition, creativity and commitment to ensure our economic growth provides benefits for everyone and creates opportunities to transform the lives of residents.
Hackney ICT is a great place to work! Our team support vital public services across the borough and are working every day to make things better for our residents and businesses.
Hackney Council is also a great place to develop your career. We offer a wide range of opportunities to learn new skills through training, mentoring and by working alongside some of the best digital agencies in the country. We are developing a new Digital Leadership Academy and will be launching an exciting apprenticeship programme in spring 2018, with 18 apprentice roles across our service.
As well as this, Hackney also offers great benefits for our people, including a range of flexible working options, discounts and other schemes to help you save money and the opportunity to plan for your future by joining the local government pension scheme (more details are available online here: https://hackney.gov.uk/staff-
We are determined to help the ICT and digital profession become more diverse, and we encourage women and other people who are under-represented in technology professions to apply to join our team. You can find out more about how Hackney promotes equalities and diversity here: https://www.hackney.gov.uk/
You can find out more about our team, how we work and the work we do on our HackIT website: http://hackit.org.uk/
Hackney is embarking upon a transition from on-premise service delivery to a cloud delivery model where a variety of SaaS and PaaS solutions will sit alongside the residual services in our data centre. The Infrastructure and Architecture teams will play a fundamental role in driving forward this change.
As a Senior Infrastructure Engineer and an expert in at least two of the following engineering disciplines:
- enterprise level Cisco,
- Checkpoint FW
- MS SQL administration
- VMware virtualisation
- DevOps automation & scripting.
In a typical week you will:
- Collaborate with technical architects to establish detailed engineering proposals
- Lead in delivering engineering projects and in presenting progress to peers, suppliers and senior management
- Work with infrastructure team managers to put together lifecycle management plans in engineering disciplines where you excel
- Fulfil a major role to troubleshoot incidents and problems that impact service users
- Support colleagues to acquire new skills and apply them in the disciplines where you excel
Examples of key up and coming projects where successful candidates will fulfil important roles are:
- Implementation of cloud-based Identity and Access Management and Mobile Device Management solutions
- Establishing detailed engineering proposals and implementing the Council’s new high level networking design published on pipeline
How to apply
To apply all you need to do is:
- Read the Job Description for this role, paying particular attention to the Person Specification section
- Provide your details in our application form and upload your CV
- Attach a supporting statement (maximum two pages) that shows how your skills, knowledge and experience will enable you to meet the criteria for the post, as described in the Person Specification
There will be a three stage recruitment process. Shortlisted candidates will have:
- a 30 minute screening phone call or video conference with the Infrastructure Manager
- a formal interview that will last about 1 hour
- a half day session in the office where you will meet the other senior engineers and work through a problem as a team.
Closing Date: Sunday 9 December 2018 (22:59 hrs)
Hackney Council works to eradicate discrimination on the basis of race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, age and marital status. We also recognise that people can be disadvantaged by their social and economic circumstances, so we will also work to eliminate discrimination and disadvantage caused by social class. We also welcome those interested in flexible working.