Here at Kingston and Sutton Councils, we want each and every service that we offer to be easily accessible, efficient and highly effective. Our Network and Security team play an integral role in this, helping us to ensure that our network is fully secure with high availability.
We have an exciting opportunity for a talented Network and Security Engineer to assist us with designing, implementing, maintaining and supporting our growing network infrastructure. You will be part of a team that is responsible for managing scalable, maintainable, highly available network architectures that enable the organisations that we support deliver critical services to the public.
We currently manage a complex network consisting of two core sites and over 100 satellite WAN sites utilising a variety of hardware including Cisco ASA, Checkpoint and Juniper firewalls, Cisco switching including Nexus and a Citrix user environment based on Hyper-V technology.
You’ll be a visible presence throughout all of the tasks and projects to which you are assigned, regularly communicating with all involved and ensuring that deadlines and milestones are met.
This role needs a talented individual who combines technical expertise with a passion for quality. We’re looking for someone who has experience and knowledge of core networking principles and technologies combined with a proactive, flexible, can do attitude.
You will need to be a confident communicator and possess excellent attention to detail, along with analytical and problem-solving skills. You must be passionate about ensuring the integrity of high availability network infrastructure to provide maximum performance for their users.
About the role
The main responsibilities of the role are to:
- configure and install various network devices and services (e.g., routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, VPN, QoS)
- perform network maintenance and system upgrades including service packs, patches, hotfixes and security configurations
- monitor performance and ensure system availability and reliability
- monitor system resource utilization, trending, and capacity planning
- provide 2nd and 3rd line support and troubleshooting to resolve issues
- work within established configuration and change management policies to ensure awareness, approval and success of changes made to the network infrastructure
- select and implement security tools, policies, and procedures in conjunction with the company’s security team
- liaise with vendors and other technical personnel for problem resolution
There will always be plenty of opportunities to learn new skills to broaden your knowledge, and you will have the chance to get involved in various improvement projects as technology and demands develop.
Kingston and Sutton Councils take a huge amount of pride in the services we provide. We’re committed to delivering great public services that are not only highly effective but also easily accessible. We’ve championed the digitisation of services as well as adopting a ‘mobile first’ model to ensure that this commitment is fulfilled.
Those joining us will find a friendly and collaborative workplace where they are fully supported, both in their work and their future development. We offer a range of training opportunities as well as enabling a range of flexible working arrangements to ensure that you’re always connected to your colleagues.
We believe that all this, combined with a fantastic benefits package, makes Kingston and Sutton Councils the perfect place to further your career.
Role profile, grade and salary:
- Network and security engineer - H-I - £32,637 to £41,847