Centrally located in the Thames Gateway, Gravesham Borough Council provides a range of services to over 95,000 people and 3,000 businesses.
The Borough of Gravesham, situated in the north west corner of Kent, covers 25,000 acres of the most varied countryside in south east England.
Bordered by the River Thames to the north, it is at the heart of Thames Gateway and has a significant role to play in the regeneration of a major government growth area.
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to delivering to the community and working with us means you are part of delivering the level of growth and improvement our community needs and deserves.
DSO Building Maintenance provides a repairs and maintenance service to the council’s tenants. We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated Electrician to carry out repairs to both our occupied and unoccupied properties,
- Electrical installation work to BS7671 and any future changes which updates or replaces this legislation and/ or electrical standards.
- Full or part rewire properties and landlord circuits using various types of cable, PVC and steel trunking & conduits (both metal and plastic).
- Electrical inspection, testing and verification work including periodic mandatory inspections. Report all findings to supervisor and complete any pro-forma certification or paperwork e.g NECIEC.
- Rectify faults raised by periodic inspections.
- Installation of smoke/ heat and carbon monoxide alarms.
- Fault find and repair any existing circuits, fittings and accessories.
- Installation of fittings and accessories such as fuse boards, light pendants/switches, power sockets etc
- Installation, service and repair electrical ventilation fans.
- Replace immersion element including drain down cylinder.
- Replace shower and water heater.
- Emergency and communal lighting service and repair.
- PAT testing of equipment if required.
- Locate and isolate main fuse to property internal or external before carrying out work and reinstate on completion.
- Work safe isolation process.
City & Guilds Level 3 in Electrics
City & Guilds 2382 Level 3, 17th Edition Electrical Installation
City & Guilds 2391 Level 3
Experience of 3-phase installations
Experience of working in building and construction (materials, methods and tools involved.)
Experience of dealing with the public.
Good working knowledge of wiring regulations and the ability to verify electrical certificates.
Competent to design electrical installations.
Significant experience of undertaking and completing EICR’s
In return we offer you:
Childcare vouchers and discounts
Government-approved, tax-efficient way of paying for childcare. You can use vouchers to pay for a wide variety of childcare for children up to the age of 16. Discounts at selected retailers in the town centre and reduced membership at local Leisure Centres.
A generous holiday entitlement, plus paid bank holidays.
In-house and external training including non-qualification, Continued Personal Development (CPD), NVQ and other qualification training.
Employee Assistance Programme
The Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) is a free and confidential support service, offering you unlimited access to advice and information as well as coaching and counselling where appropriate.
Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, the service is there to help you manage all of life's events and support you through the challenges. Their expert advisers are there to help,
whenever you need them. Support on the telephone, online and face to face.
Cycle to work
By working with us you'll typically save between 31% and 48% of the retail cost of bikes and accessories. You can find out more on the Cycle Solutions website.
A very secure pension scheme which both you and we pay into. More information can be found on the Local Government Pension Scheme website.
An on-site Occupational Health Advisor. We have an occupational health service provided by East Kent Hospitals University Foundation NHS Trust. The service is delivered by a team of health professionals who specialise in occupational medicine and deal with the relationship between your work and your health. Occupational Health also works with us to resolve any issues in the workplace and also to ensure that well-being at work is maintained.
If you would like to express an interest and have an informal discussion, please call 01474 33 75 22
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.