Apprentice Customer Service Agent
Salary: £18,615 pa
Location: 7 Newington Barrow Way, London N7 7EP
Hours: 35 hours per week
Islington Council offers a wide range of high quality Apprenticeship Pathways that combine working in a great job, comprehensive training and development opportunities, and a competitive salary.
Our Customer Service Apprenticeship Pathway consists of a 14-month opportunity to build on your problem solving and customer care skills, and apply your ‘can-do’ attitude whilst working towards a Customer Service qualification. Following the initial application process, successful applicants will join Islington Council’s call and contact centre, where you will work to deliver the Council’s corporate customer care standards.
Contact Islington is Islington Council’s call and contact centre and is a central point of contact for the Council’s customers. It is responsible for responding to requests and queries from customers in a way that is helpful, fair and efficient. This is achieved through excellent customer service and the delivery of key activities which are designed to meet the needs of our customers. Working as part of a friendly and well respected team, your role will be varied and rewarding.
The Job - Working as a Customer Service Apprentice for the Council you will:
- Work individually and as part of a team to respond to customer’s requests effectively and efficiently;
- Liaise with customers directly via the phone, in writing or in person, as a friendly and knowledgeable representative of the Council
- Learn key office and administration skills to ensure the smooth functioning of the team’
- Using your knowledge and understanding of the Council’s policies and procedures to respond to requests;
- Ensure customer’s needs are met quickly, confidently and positively;
- Use problem-solving skills to provide advice and support to customer’s issues and concerns;
- Develop strong professional relationships with your own team and with others we work alongside and to whom we provide services.
Training and Development – Within your role you will:
- Complete a level 2 diploma in Customer Services funded by the Council. This will involve attendance at a college and/or completing tasks in the workplace (depending on specific course requirement) and will provide both practical and theory-based qualifications;
- Join the Apprenticeship Pathway personal and professional development programme that will involve a series of varied development activities and events throughout your year with the Council
Working in Islington Council
We appreciate and value our employees and recognise the importance of a motivated and supported workforce. We will support your development through the activities mentioned above and through the ongoing support of your manager and a mentoring programme. In addition to the competitive salary and excellent annual leave package the organisation offers a wide range of benefits such as; discounted gym memberships and cycle schemes, discounted theatre tickets and local discounts from restaurants and shops.
After you have successfully completed your Apprenticeship Pathway you will have gained valuable workplace experience and attained a professional qualification which will improve your chances of finding work either within the Council or with another employer or help you move on to a higher level apprenticeship elsewhere. You will have networked across the Council and be aware of the internal job market during your time with us and we will provide support on your approach to the wider job market as part of your development programme.
The Customer Services Pathway is ideal for those who enjoy helping others and are passionate about good customer service.
To apply for this apprenticeship, you must be:
- aged 16 or above and
- unemployed (or working no more than 16 hours)
- and an Islington resident or Islington care leaver or a student at an Islington secondary school student currently or within the last 12 months.
- Not currently be qualified in Customer Services at level 2 or above
Closing Date: Sunday 11th November 2018
Assessment Day: Wednesday 21st November 2018
Apprenticeship Start Date: January 2019
If you are an Islington resident who would like support with your application please contact the iWork Team on 020 7527 3559 or email iWork@islington.gov.uk