Principal Litigation Lawyer
£45,126 - £48,151 inclusive of outer fringe allowance per annum
37 hours per week
You will be responsible for the effective provision of litigation and common law legal services and management of the Council’s Litigation Team whilst carrying a complex case and legal advice workload.
You will represent the Council at Planning Public Inquiries and any other public tribunal or Body exercising quasi-judicial functions whenever appropriate.
To provide advice to Members, the Chief Executive, Directors and other Officers in respect to all relevant legislation and matters being dealt with by the Litigation Team as required.
To draft reports and provide legal clearance to reports and attend Committees, Boards and Panels and Member Working Parties and to attend and advise at committee meetings including the Development Control Committee, Hackney Carriage Committee and Licensing Committee as appropriate.
To supervise and oversee the day to day casework of the Litigation staff
To be a Solicitor, Barrister or Fellow of Chartered Institute of Legal Executives with rights of audience entitled to practice in England and Wales
· Have substantial local government experience at a senior level
Substantial civil and regulatory enforcement litigation experience in complex cases
In depth knowledge of housing and licensing law in relation to Local Authorities
- Have experience of supervising a team and have the ability to motivate, support and guide other team members and lead effectively
- Be able to prioritise a workload effectively to ensure key deadlines are met
- Have excellent communication skills
- The ability to converse at ease with members of the public and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential in this post.
For further information on the role, please see the person specification.
Closing date for application is 25 November 2018.
Assessments and interviews will be held on 6 December 2018.