The Europa Centre is now looking for Spanish native or near-native speakers to work with our schools.
We provide opportunities for schools and their students to come and practise their language skills in our fun and unique centre. School visits take place during weekdays in term time. The 3 hours school visits will be on ad hoc basis and will take place at the Europa Centre, the Walk, Hornchurch, RM11 3TL
The Europa Centre is now part of the Havering Adult College which offers a wide range of courses in a variety of subjects and venues across the Borough. We have a strong commitment to Equality and Diversity, and welcome learners of all abilities from all backgrounds.
Our excellent commitment to safeguarding has been recognised by Ofsted at our last two inspections.
- Part-time sessional Language Assistant for Spanish
If you speak Spanish and are interested in teaching, why not come and join our team of language assistants at the Europa Centre?
As a language assistant you will be encouraging primary and secondary students to use the language they are studying. You will enhance their experience of language learning through role-plays and hand-on activities with native/fluent speakers.
Full training will be given with the scope to access free teaching training to the successful/suitable applicant.
The hourly rate of pay starts at £18.14 and includes preparation and planning visits where required. Holiday pay is included within the hourly rate.
The successful candidate should have an understanding of Equality and Diversity, and an appreciation of the requirements of the Safeguarding of Children & Vulnerable Adults regulations and Prevent Strategy.
You will be joining an enthusiastic and professional team, and will be fully supported by our lead team and the School Provision Co-ordinator.
The successful applicant will:
- have native or a fluent command of the foreign language, along with cultural and social awareness and experience of the country.
- have an interest in and enthusiasm for working with children of all ages and a desire to help them develop their linguistic, inter-cultural and skills awareness.
- have the ability to work as part of a team, and the flexibility to take the initiative and to work independently where required.
- have the ability to follow guidance, instruction and advice and to work within written and spoken guidelines, procedures and instructions.
- have the ability to manage time, to be available for work during in school day during term time, and to work to a strict timetable within a rapidly changing series of tasks and activities.
- Follow Health &Safety regulations specified and provided by the Council, including Safeguarding and Prevent.
Successful candidates should hold:
- GCSE A*-C English and maths qualifications (or equivalent level)
- A qualification in the subject (or native language level)
- SVUK endorsed Level 1 teaching qualification. Consideration will be given to exceptional applicants who do not hold, but are willing to gain, their teaching qualification, if successful. Details of this can be discussed at interview.
Candidates who declare that they have a disability in accordance with the Equality Act 2010 and meet the essential criteria as specified in the Job Profile will be guaranteed an interview.
Priority consideration on all advertised roles will be given to London Borough of Havering Redeployees.
The London Borough of Havering is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable groups and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Please be aware that a Disclosure and Baring Scheme (DBS) check will be required for any position with access to these groups under the provision of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Should you require any help or advice with your online application, please contact the Recruitment Help Desk on: 01708 432770
If you have any questions about the post, please contact Carole Vuarrier on Carole.Vuarrier@havering.gov.uk
- Make sure you answer fully all the questions and evidence how you meet the competencies for the post.
- Please make explicit reference to your relevant experience and qualifications of support teaching and learning.
- Finally, please make sure you choose referees that can provide a minimum of 5 year coverage.
Do not attach a CV as this will not be considered.
All applications must be made online. The closing date for the receipt of applications is 19/11/2018; however interest in this job may be high and we therefore reserve the right to close the vacancy early. Interview dates are expected to be on 26/11/18.
You will be notified if your application has been successful, and be invited to an interview.