Brighton & Hove is a vibrant and a popular place to live with a much higher than average proportion of privately rented homes, including significant numbers of Houses in Multiple Occupation. We believe that our private rented sector should be well managed and that everyone has the right to live in decent, safe accommodation.
We are looking for a highly skilled manager to lead our Private Sector Housing Service who will share our drive to improve the management, standards and quality of private sector homes in the City.
You will have the ability to lead our committed Private Sector Housing team working toward this objective and to provide an excellent service to customers and elected members. Experience of dealing with complex problems, challenging situations, budget constraints and the ability to work under pressure is essential. In return we can offer a great office location near the sea, and excellent terms and conditions including staff discounts on goods and services throughout the city. As a unitary authority there are opportunities to work across directorates including with Adult Social Care and Children Families and Learning to provide a more joined up and holistic service for residents. We can also offer great self-development and career opportunities through Our People Promise commitments.
Main advert detailAn experienced manager, you will have the ability to deliver high quality services on budget while working in a pressured environment.
You have a track record of delivering excellent customer service and providing strategic and operational leadership of our technical team responsible for:
• Improving housing conditions in the private rented & owner occupied homes through carrying out the council’s duties in relation to private sector housing renewal advice, assistance and enforcement.
• Improving management and conditions in HMOs through renewal assistance, enforcement and licensing.
You will be responsible for successfully delivering our strategic priority of improving the quality of the private rented homes in the City, including:
• Ongoing delivery, monitoring and review of our recently implemented city-wide additional licensing scheme for smaller HMOs;
• Taking forward our proposals to introduce a selective licensing scheme to improve management and housing conditions across the private rented sector;
• Approval and delivery of our updated Private Sector Housing Enforcement Policy , ensuring tenants of private landlords live in homes that are free of unacceptable hazards and risks to their health and safety and that all licensable private rented properties are licensed and license conditions are met.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community but particularly encourage BME, disabled, LGB, male and trans applicants as these groups are currently under-represented in our directorate workforce.
Contact detailsMartin Reid
Head of Housing Strategy, Property & Investment