Qualification: Level 2 Customer Service
Contract Lenght: 15 months
Camden is building somewhere everyone can thrive, by making our borough the best place to live, work, study and visit. We’re home to the most important conversations happening today and making radical social change a reality, so that nobody gets left behind. Here’s where you can help make a better future for us all by embedding and furthering the role of culture and creativity in transformation of place, and people’s lives whether as audience, participant, maker, or producer.
We’re a high performing Registration Service that sits within the customer services division in Camden Council. We’re at the forefront of enabling customers to access all of our services online in the registration industry, and are excited to shortly be moving into our beautifully refurbished Old Town Hall in the heart of Kings Cross, opposite St Pancras International Station. The service registers approximately 10,000 births and 2,400 deaths, naturalise over 1,500 new citizens, and conducts over 1,000 weddings and other civil ceremonies.
About the role
To provide administrative and customer service support to the Registrars team and complete a Customer Service Apprenticeship qualification.
- Manage reception area in welcoming visitors to the office and deal quickly and effectively with their needs, including directing visitors to the correct area within the building. Provide first line advice and referrals to service users on queries across the service, ensuring advice given is accurate and consistent and tailored to the service users, adjusting responses appropriately as required to make sure routine or simple information or instruction is clearly communicated in a helpful manner.
- Deal pleasantly and assertively with all service users, whether face to face, on the telephone, via email or post, demonstrate an aptitude for dealing with a wide range of people and a desire to empathise and assist.
- Assist service users to use new Council services and processes.
- Responsible for collecting fees or other payments from visitors / service users, ensuring that accurate change and receipts are provided and keeping cash / tills under careful watch and ensuring they are not left unattended at any time. Process refunds where requested under management instruction.
- Work with speed and accuracy at all times, using information systems to manage data in response to service user queries, entering data into paper or electronic records as required; ensure accurate records are maintained.
- Accurately file documents, whether paper or electronic, according to the established filing systems on a regular basis, without allowing a build-up or backlog to develop and ensuring routine procedures are accurately and correctly followed at all times.
- Master a range of basic and complex facts, information and processes related to the service area in which you are working (adhere to strict confidentiality). Maintain up-to- date knowledge of the service area, and be proactively share knowledge with other colleagues in similar roles to ensure the best possible service is available to service users. Assist service users to use new Council services and processes.
- Show full commitment to prescribed learning.
- Manage administrative processes associated with registration work; indexing historical records related to birth/death/marriages and civil partnerships, manage logging incoming post, producing printed and handwritten duplicate certificates, printing declarations of births & entering inquests, responding to customer emails and answering telephone enquiries.
- Manage administrative process associated with Citizenship: maintain database and input, pre and post ceremony administration for citizenship ceremonies May be deployed to Tavistock office to help with duties.
- Some clients may display distress, e.g. if coming to register a stillbirth or death. You must be able to deal appropriately and empathetically with situations like this.
- You must be able to stick to the law and have the confidence to explain this to customers diplomatically, even in cases where they object.
Essential criteriaNot specified
Desirable criteriaNot specified
- 16+ years old, Camden resident or Camden care leaver, former Camden Secondary school student
- A real desire to work and learn and complete the apprenticeship qualification
- Have lived in the EU or UK for the last 3 years (except if you are an asylum seeker or refugee)
- NOT already have an NVQ level 2 (or higher) in Business Administration or customer service
- Not be attending any other school, Further Education or Higher Education institution
Important note - role may close early if we get enough suitable applications, those interested in the role are encouraged to apply ASAP.
Camden care leavers and people with learning difficulties or disabilities will be prioritised for final interviews provided they meet the minimum requirements of the role.
Camden is committed to making our recruitment practices barrier-free and as inclusive as possible for everyone. This includes making adjustments or changes for people who have a disability or long-term health condition and finding out if part time work options are available. If this affects you, please contact us to discuss at email@example.com
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.