Here at West Sussex County Council, we are ambitious for our children and our workforce. We are committed to improving our services for the children and families in West Sussex we support. You will join us as at a key time on our improvement journey.
We don't underestimate the work that still needs to be undertaken and the challenge ahead, we are confident in our approach and excited about the changes occurring. That's why we need professionals, like you, who really want to be part of the positive change that is happening for children. Be part of an ambitious improvement plan and make a significant difference to children and families in West Sussex. There has never been a more rewarding time to join.
For further information about us and about working in Children's Social Care at West Sussex County Council, please visit Careers in children's social work in West Sussex.
About The Job
Salary: £25,409 to £27,852
Working Pattern: Full-time
We are looking for a team player with a passion for engaging with families to join our team as a Family Support Worker to provide appropriate interventions and services for children/young people and their families to prevent accommodation into care and to assist the rehabilitation of children/young people back into their family home.
Family Support Workers use Early Help Plans to assess each member of the family, create a whole family delivery plan and review the needs of the family.
The Family Support Worker's main purpose is to provide Supported Help to families experiencing difficulties through regular intervention using a Whole Family approach. The Family Support Worker will be utilising partner agencies to effect and sustain positive change for the family, individual members and the community around them by:
- Developing and maintaining effective partnership working with parents and families
- Provide or co-ordinate regular support
- Facilitating and delivering interventions which improve parental capacity and family relationships.
Experience and Skills
- Works effectively with families in crisis, managing own and others anxieties and working within the boundaries of the role
- Manage casework effectively with children/young people and their families, establishing needs, setting objectives and reviewing progress
- Engage and work creatively in partnership with children/young people and their families, in order to effect positive and lasting change
- Work in an empowering way with families, focusing on their collective strengths and resources; e.g. using a Solution focused approach
- Reflect on own practice and to learn from experience. To take responsibility for own performance and to be proactive in relation to own work and professional development
- Analyse and interpret complex information and prioritise needs in order to make recommendations/decisions which will have a positive outcome
Qualifications and/or experience:
- NVQ level 3 Health and Social Care or equivalent qualification, demonstrating that level of ability in working with children/young people and families or relevant experience. Relevant organisational knowledge of systems, procedures and policies associated with operating a client focused service
- Significant experience of working with children/young people and their families in a crisis situation and using a range of direct work interventions
- Experience of working in a multi-agency context, demonstrating an awareness of differing roles and responsibilities and effective methods of collaboration
- Knowledge of child and adolescent development and age appropriate behaviour relevant to the Early Help service
- Understanding of current childcare legislation and policy
- Knowledge of Safeguarding policies and procedures
- Valid and full driving licence
Rewards and Benefits
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee, you can find this at our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE04275.
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, please visit our website.