Hillingdon Council: Putting our Residents first.
Hillingdon is London's second largest borough. Our staff live across Hillingdon and beyond, with our main council offices at the Civic Centre in the heart of vibrant Uxbridge town centre. Putting our residents first is at the heart of everything we do, and we are embarking on an ambitious plan to modernise our service offering, while sustaining the high-quality delivery.
We operate a busy, innovative and dynamic Legal Department, which is committed to providing high-quality, client focused legal services. The team works in close collaboration with our service areas providing a comprehensive support service across a wide range of Council areas including adult and children's care, planning, housing and litigation.
About the role
This role attracts a competitive salary £42,795 - £46,857, alongside a £1500 bonus on successful completion of your probation period.
We are now seeking an experienced Contracts/procurement lawyer to join the team, this post is offered on an initial fixed term of 12 months to cover a maternity leave.
- Draft, prepare and execute all contracts for the provision of works and the supply of goods or services
- Checking insurances, drafting bonds and monitoring contractual certificates
- Asist Council Departments in the drafting, preparation, and execution of sub-contracts
- Ensuring that the Council's standard contract preliminaries are kept up to date, in line with the relevant department's requirements and the most current versions of the relevant professional standard form documents.
- Ensuring compliance with the Council's Procurement and Contract Standing Orders and the Code of Practice, and with any relevant legislation
- Conducting of cases in all Civil Courts and Tribunals, and to appear personally on the Council's behalf in all Civil Courts
- Provide legal and procedural advice to the Council
- Self-development, including keeping up to date with new legislation, case law and contractual procedures
Our ideal candidate will have a Law Degree or equivalent and be qualified and admitted as a Solicitor or Barrister or CILEX (as a minimum) in England and Wales or Common Law jurisdiction or in the process of becoming qualified/admitted.
To have a right of audience in all Proceedings in the County Court or be about to gain such a right of audience or to have a minimum of 5 years advocacy experience as an authorised Local Authority Officer. Those with Higher Rights of Audience particularly welcome.
You will have the ability to manage a demanding caseload, with high levels of attention to detail and a track record in effective decision making.
Together with excellent communication skills, be highly organised and with a high degree of professionalism.
What we offer
This role represents a fantastic opportunity for a legal professional looking to further their career within local government. You will be part of a high performing team engaged in interesting and stimulating work.
We offer significant support and training to further assist your development eg Higher Rights of Audience.
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
Our borough offers fantastic transport links with the A40, M25, the Metropolitan, Elizabeth, and Piccadilly lines all local to us, so you can travel to work with ease, with free parking within our own car park. We also offer a hybrid working arrangements, with time balanced between the office and home. The role will require attendance at meetings outside of working hours, and you may be required to attend a range of locations across the borough.
Please upload your CV and a covering letter explaining clearly why you consider yourself to be an excellent fit for the role.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.
Due to an expected high volume of applications, we could close this role early, we therefore recommend you apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.