The Directorate of Public Health is the primary source of specialist public health advice and leadership within West Sussex. We are a progressive, specialist, multi-disciplinary department and are committed to improving health and reducing health inequalities in West Sussex.
About The Job
Salary: £58,863 - £62,183 per annum
Working Pattern: Full Time 37 hours per week
Location: Chichester (Hybrid working opportunities)
You will work within a Public Health commissioning team which provides a countywide, community focussed function, meeting the agreed strategic outcomes and priorities, and meeting political, statutory, performance and financial measures through the effective management of the commissioning resource of the Public Health Grant.
Reporting to the Head of Commissioning - Public Health, you will manage a range of contracts and service level agreements that are evidence based to achieve good public health outcomes. Contracts will include Healthy Child Programme which is a statutory duty for local authorities. You will be involved in the development of new services, service improvement or evolution and decommissioning of services. You will work closely with Public Health consultants and other directorates within the council, and with relevant NHS Sussex commissioning leads.
Experience and Skills
- Sound pragmatic problem-solving decisions, which will have a wider service impact and could be business critical.
- Ability to give detailed expert, technical and management advice and use judgement to define and resolve problems without clear guidance.
- Effective research and planning skills to construct creative solutions to ensure the successful delivery of service provision for several years.
- Highly developed communication skills to persuade, negotiate or influence within or outside the organisation and at different levels.
- Effective people management and performance management skills with the ability to lead, inspire, direct and support individuals and teams.
- Ability to set & monitor KPIs/objectives/timescales and meet planned activities, projects, and reviews.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Post graduate professional qualification relevant either to management or to the specialist area of Commissioning, or equivalent experience.
- Relevant chartered status of a professional body or equivalent high-level experience of involved practices.
- Experience in a related strategic commissioning role including procurement, ideally gained in a health or public health setting.
- Experience of managing a budget and contributing to decision making on high level spending.
- Exposure to shaping and supporting initiatives in a political environment.
Rewards and Benefits
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE04249. For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Fiona Mackison at . For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to 3 years referencing and a health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!