Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a Data Analyst to work with our Repairs Service Manager supporting all our building maintenance teams.
Candidates must be enthusiastic, excellent communicators, well organised, have a keen eye for detail, and be demonstrably proficient in organising & analysing data using Excel, which will be thoroughly tested by assessments.
What can we offer?
The building maintenance service has an annual budget of close to £50 million to maintain and improve its social housing and corporate building stock.
The last sixteen years has seen the service conduct a series of continuous improvement interventions, using Vanguard's systems thinking methodology, and we continue to strive to understand what matters to our customers and how we can deliver that in an effective and efficient manner, using a wide variety of data and capability measures.
We can provide you with an opportunity to work across the service supporting all the teams we manage with a variety of repair, void, project, stock and financial data.
We will support you by providing opportunities to train and develop your existing knowledge and skills, as appropriate.
For the right candidate there will be opportunities to extend their knowledge and skills further with our bespoke in-house repairs and maintenance IT system (SQL/Server database).
What is the role?
You will be based at one of our offices supporting the Repairs Service Manager.
You will take the lead in providing building maintenance input for a variety of monthly, quarterly and annual performance reports and statutory returns for internal and external audiences.
You will provide ad hoc support to all building maintenance teams, and others, who require data from our systems, including to enable us to respond to Freedom of Information requests and complaints.
You will support managers in building maintenance improve their use of the data we collect and to run measures, ensuring it helps us meet the purposes of "maintaining and improving our properties" and "right repair at the right time".
You will prepare and maintain database queries to extract data for analysis from tables with several million rows of data.
You will produce and amend documentation, including process guides, in support of the role.
You will support the Repairs Service Manager in the operation of the budget allocation process using the data from our databases in conjunction with our service provider monthly valuations.
You will support the Repairs Service Manager in testing new releases of the repairs and maintenance IT system prior to release.
Who is the Person?
Essential skills and knowledge you need to have:
- some relevant data analysis work experience with either a second class degree in a numerate subject OR able to demonstrate sufficient relevant knowledge and experience in a similar role
- an excellent practical knowledge of Microsoft Excel, including the ability to use advanced formulas and reporting techniques to analyse data, e.g. merging multiple data sets, PivotTables, Boolean logic
- good data management, problem solving and analytical skills
- the ability to work accurately with data and demonstrate a thorough attention to detail
- the ability to use Microsoft Word and PowerPoint to prepare reports and presentations that succinctly communicate data to a variety of technical and non-technical audiences
- an organised and methodical approach to managing demands and can prioritise, escalating for very complex or highly sensitive demands
- the ability to work independently and as part of a team to resolve problems, challenge other's ideas based on knowledge and help find proportionate and effective solutions
Desirable skills and knowledge:
- an understanding of business finance, including the difference between revenue and capital expenditure, budget monitoring and forecasting
- an interest in continuous improvement techniques, especially relating to systems thinking and Statistical Process Control (SPC) visualised using WinChart
- a basic knowledge of database systems and how to specify simple queries, e.g. Microsoft Excel Query from SQL Server
If you have any questions, or would like an informal discussion about the role, please call Paul Sorrell (Repairs Service Manager) on 07951 889 500 or e-mail Paul.Sorrell@portsmouthcc.gov.uk
Initial assessment centre to be the morning of 09.02.23.
When completing the application form, please thoroughly tailor your application to the 'Who is the Person' points with the use of examples from your experience and attach this as a cover letter in the Supporting Documents section. This is really important or you are likely not to be shortlisted. Please click here for the full job profile.
We are a disability confident employer - committed to ensuring that our recruitment and selection process is inclusive and accessible and welcome applications from all areas of society.
We really appreciate our employees and fully realise they are essential to our success and look to offer an inclusive, supportive working environment where employees can reach their potentials with a healthy work life balance, offering the following rewards:
- A generous pension scheme
- Up to 31 days annual leave