Finance Manager – Adults and Public Health; Environment and Sustainable Transport
Finance Manager x 2
£55,439 - £67,313 per annum
Newham is a vibrant inner-city borough with excellent transport links to the rest of London and South-East England, including Kent, Essex, Surrey and Middlesex. Proud to be home to one of the youngest and most diverse cultures across the country; 72% of the borough's population are from Black, Asian or other ethnically diverse communities, contributing to 220 languages being spoken in the area.
The Council's Finance Department is searching for professional accountants experienced at this level and looking for a fresh challenge or candidates with relevant experience looking to progress to the next stage of their career. The Finance Manager will play a key role helping shape the finance service as we embed a new ERM system (Oracle Fusion), and use this to improve financial management & control, and accountability across the organisation, and enable effective proactive financial planning.
We are looking for innovative individuals who can lead by example and help build a sustainable, highly effective, service that delivers exceptional support for one of our front-line departments and the council as a whole.
As a Finance Manager you will be the key contact for senior stakeholders including Corporate Directors and Heads of Services. You will provide professional counsel to colleagues and partners. In turn, you'll inspire your staff to deliver value for money, develop opportunities and embed commercial practices.
With a new leadership team and a collective ethos of improvement, we want to forge a new path at Newham. Ultimately, this is about making everyday life better for over 350,000 people across the borough, as well as millions of workers and visitors. You’ll introduce more robust planning, find new revenue streams – and help us invest further in our resident-centric services.
We are looking to recruit a Finance Manager in the below areas:
Adults and Public Health
· Provide specialist advice, accounting, financial challenge and guidance for the Adults and Public Health Directorate.
· Deliver sound financial modelling to support ambitious commissioning intentions, social care reform planning and strategic decision-making
· Develop robust long-term financial forecasts and sustainable budget plans
· Play an integral part in the formation and reporting of the directorate’s capital programme
· Develop and maintain modelling, forecasting and analytics tools to assist with the management of social care packages and placements
· Lead a small team proving a full range of finance services to the Adults and Public Health budget holders and senior leadership, including Cabinet Members.
Environment and Sustainable Transport
· Lead a small team, providing a full range of finance services to the Environment and Sustainable Transport Department and senior leadership, including Cabinet Members.
· Provide specialist advice, accounting, financial challenge and guidance to Environment and Sustainable Transport Department
· Drive effective budget planning, monitoring, and month end-reporting in the service
· Deliver strategic finance advice including development of modelling and forecasting tools for Parking and other areas of Environment and Sustainable Transport.
· Support and challenge corporate directors to ensure financially sustainable delivery in line with MTFS requirements
· Ensure application of financial procedures, decision governance and other internal controls.
Successful applicants will be fully CCAB qualified with post qualification experience. You will have experience managing change and be comfortable working in a local government setting. You will confidently work with senior figures as well as having the people management skills to manage a small team. You will be able to nurture and develop talent within the finance team.
Please click on the APPLY button and you will be REDIRECTED to the Council's careers page.
Please view Finance Manager JD
Closing date: Sunday 5 February 2023
We are committed to creating an inclusive, anti-racist environment for all. When you apply for a job at Newham, your application is considered on its merits regardless of your age, disability, ethnicity, faith, gender identity or sexual orientation. If you share our vision and values, and you bring the experience and skills we need, that’s all that matters to us.
The London Borough of Newham has important responsibilities for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. If you are appointed to a job that involves working with these groups, you may be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.