About The Job
Salary: £43,516 to £46,549 per annum
Working Pattern: Full-time (37 hours per week)
Contract Length: Permanent
Base Location: Durban House, Bognor Regis OR Bridge House, Worthing. Flexibility in base location and to be agreed with successful candidate. Hybrid working and county wide travel.
Do you have experience working in finance? Can you work well as part of a team and be customer focused? Are you personally resourceful and looking for a role where you can work autonomously?
We have the perfect role for you… Join us as a Business Finance Manager!
Effective business management develops and delivers support to the Adult Services Directorate and enables it to operate as an effective and efficient service. There is a strong focus on customers, performance, driving efficiencies and providing best value for money for residents.
As a Business Finance Manager, you will:
- support the management of the Adult Services budget through the monitoring and recording of savings targets, efficiency initiatives and the service budget.
- provide a link between performance, finance and operations on key business activities.
- may be required to manage a small team, and to travel to various locations throughout the county.
- present data in a way which can be easily accessed and understood by the Senior Leadership team and other stakeholders who may not have a financial background.
- accountable for reviewing, long-term planning and recommending changes to and gaining approval for systems, processes, procedures and practices, which may shape current and future service provision, priorities and resource requirements.
All West Sussex County Council (WSCC) employees have a WSCC location as their contractual work location, however we do operate a 'Smarter working' approach, this is something that you agree locally with your manager, for what works best for you, your role and your team. More details will be shared once you start working.
If this sounds like the perfect opportunity to join a supportive and dynamic team, take a look at the attached job description and see if you have the skills, qualifications, and experience to be a Business Finance Manager!
Experience and Skills
- Ability to research, analyse and interpret information to make effective judgements in order to review the effectiveness of activities and service provision, plan long term and set timescales.
- Ability to identify and analyse risks, and manipulate complex financial data relating to large budgets in the region of £100m.
- Ability to anticipate problems, plan solutions and make sound pragmatic problem-solving decisions and recommendations, which will have a wider service impact, particularly in relation to providing a varied and complex service, resource issues and partnership building.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to influence the actions of others and communicate information which may be complex and contentious. Including the ability to negotiate solutions across wide areas of the business and successfully convince others of the need to take a specific course of action.
- Ability to challenge existing practices and identify innovative solutions within the required framework.
- Ability to articulate problems and lead staff to a position where they can find and implement solutions.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Post graduate diploma in management studies, or equivalent management qualification or management experience.
- Experience of monitoring and setting budgets effectively to deliver a service within available resources.
- Experience of contributing to the development of business strategies and translating strategies into operational policy and procedure and delivering outcomes.
- Sound and accurate IT knowledge e.g. Microsoft Office, and expert at data handling.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to:
- 29 days annual leave + bank holidays with the ability to buy additional leave annually
- Access to a generous, defined benefit pension scheme
- A range of flexible working options
- Training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring
- Health and wellbeing benefits including access to our Employee Assistance Programme, Mental Health First Aiders and Voluntary Health Cash Plans
How to Apply:
Upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV.
Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to enhanced DBS check, 5 years referencing and a health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.