Medway operates a successful Internal Audit & Counter Fraud Shared Service with Gravesham Borough Council. We are recruiting a Counter Fraud Officer and are looking for a highly motivated individual with excellent communication skills and the ability to undertake investigations to criminal standards.
The post holder will be expected carry out criminal and civil investigations, in accordance with key legislation, into suspected fraud in a variety of different areas at both a Unitary and District authority; as well as conducting disciplinary investigations as required.
The service operates a hybrid working pattern, with a minimum of 40% office-based work and the remainder remote (home) working. The successful applicant will be expected to work across council sites within both Medway and Gravesend as required.
- Good standard of academic education, and practical experience in counter fraud / investigations or relevant function.
- A thorough knowledge and practical experience of investigation techniques and processes; including a working knowledge of relevant legislation associated with investigations, interviewing and the prosecution of offenders.
- Demonstrate ability to use well developed communication skill to present complex / sensitive information in an understandable way, to a range of audiences.
- Demonstrable ability to analyse and interpret complex information and situations.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, managing own workloads and those of others.
Interviews will take place Monday 13 February 2023 at Gravesham Borough Council.
In return we offer you:
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Generous local government pension scheme package
- Access to wider training and development qualifications
- Flexible working scheme
- Travel plan discounts
- Car Benefit Scheme from Tusker
- Access to CAREFIRST advice & counselling service
- Employee discount scheme for national and local retailers
- The Government has introduced new ways of supporting parents with childcare costs. Further details are available here: - https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk/
Medway is a unitary authority in the South East of England, made up of the towns of Strood, Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham and Rainham and more rural areas, including the Hoo Peninsula.
Situated in Kent in the South-East of England, the area has plenty of green spaces, excellent facilities and easy access to the national motorway and rail networks, facilitating superb transport links to London.
We provide all local Government services for a quarter of a million people, looking after education, environment, social care, housing, planning, business and much more - everything from frontline services such as rubbish collection and events like the Dickens Festival to work that goes on behind the scenes to ensure services in Medway run smoothly and cost effectively.
Working at Medway Council means that you get to be part of this journey working alongside talented, professional colleagues to drive forward change to transform the lives of our residents and the communities they live in.
If you would like to have an informal discussion about the role please call Nikki Ashby (Counter Fraud Manager) on 01634 332325.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Medway Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, race, colour, ethnic or national origin, disability, marital status, family commitments, sexual orientation, age, HIV status, religious or political beliefs, social class or trade union activity or irrelevant spent conviction.
For further information please refer to the Medway information pack available as a download or to view online.
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
Please visit http://www.mindfulemployer.net/ for information on how Medway Council put good practices in place to ensure employees and job applicants who declare mental health issues receive the right level of support.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.
How to Apply
Please be advised that we only accept online applications submitted through JobsGoPublic ATS
If you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted.
All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email, if you require documentation/correspondence in different format such as braille or large print, please contact the Resourcing Team on 01634 332878.