The Legislative Drafter is part of a small team which has a significant role in drafting legislation in the Falkland Islands to deliver an ambitious Government Legislation Programme
An opportunity exists for a significant role in legislative drafting in a unique British overseas territory—the Falkland Islands:
The Falkland Islands has a very small, but friendly and professional team of legislative drafters; you would join the Head of Legislation, Senior Legislative Drafter and the Legislation and Gazette Manager.
The Government has an ambitious national four year Legislation Programme. The limited policy development and other relevant resources available in such a small British Overseas Territory make delivery of the Programme a challenge. Your main duties would include:
- Drafting primary and secondary legislation for FIG (and occasionally the Government of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands)
- Developing effective and productive working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders in the development of new laws
- Contributing to the improvement of drafting practices and procedures
- A solicitor or barrister (admitted UK/Ireland/Commonwealth) with at least 5 years’ post-qualification experience;
- At least 3 years’ experience as a Legislative Drafter in a Commonwealth country, the Republic of Ireland, or a British Overseas Territory
- Ideally; experience of drafting primary legislation and working with a written Constitution (but these are not essential requirements)
- An effective and responsible team member with the skills and motivation needed to thrive in a new working environment
- Fixed Term Contract, up to 4 years.
- Starting Salary £52,193 - £59,894 (depending on qualifications and experience) rising to £78,343 for exceptional candidates.
- Eligibility for a 25% gratuity, paid upon successful completion of the contract
- 30 days annual leave, plus government and public holidays (totalling 41 days leave)
- Relocation allowance, to help with moving costs.
- Flights package for you and recognised dependents at the beginning and end of contract, and additional annual return flights contingent on the duration of the contract
- Government housing for rent and a starter pack to help you settle in.
- A stimulating and supportive setting to work in and a unique and beautiful setting to live in.
How to Apply
Interested candidates can download the job description and view further information from our online vacancy page.
For further information regarding the position please contact Ros Cheek, Head of Legislation, by emailing email@example.com or by calling (+500) 28467.
To apply, please complete our online application form from our vacancy page www.jobs.gov.fk, by clicking on 'Apply Now' and completing the form. Alternatively, download an offline form from the same page and email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date.
Timetable for Recruitment and Selection Process
Closing Date for Applications 17 February 2023
Shortlisting Commencing 20 February 2023
Interviews Commencing 27 February 2023
Falkland Islands Government (FIG)
The Falkland Islands is a British Overseas Territory, with full internal self-government.
As the largest employer in the Falkland Islands, we offer many unique and fulfilling job opportunities, across the full spectrum of public services. Our responsibilities include those typically managed by central government – taxation, legislation and policy, as well as those usually managed on a local level such as town planning, health and social services, and education. FIG also provides services specific to the needs of the Falkland Islands, such as fisheries research, power generation and the Government Air Service, FIGAS.
For more information about working for Falkland Islands Government, take a look at our recruitment microsite: www.jobs.gov.fk
The Falkland Islands
Set in the South Atlantic Ocean, around 400 miles east of South America and 8,000 miles south-west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a British way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins, all seen from the shore. For those with a sense of adventure, it provides opportunities which are hard to match anywhere else in the world.