If you are a confident, organised and enthusiastic team player, who is committed to fantastic customer service as part of the Housing and Communities Team, then you may be a great fit for this role. A positive attitude is key, as we work to remain the best landlord in town by changing lives and strengthening communities. The Housing and Communities Team is passionate about the people who live in our town; our vision is for everyone to have the opportunity to live in a good quality, sustainable home within a lively and thriving neighbourhood.
About the role
In this role you can help us achieve our vision. You will be responsible for helping to fund our Housing service by raising and managing recharges for Housing repairs, as well as collecting debts held by former tenants and other users of the Housing service. You will be required to really get to know your customers, helping to maximise their income and increase our collection rates, so we can continue to improve our services. Your great communication skills will help you to discuss sensitive subjects, such as finances and debt, and you will offer a service tailored to the needs of each individual customer.
You will have an eye for detail and will aim to achieve the best possible outcome for every customer, helping them manage their debts in a sustainable and affordable way. You'll carry out a range of tasks, including offering advice on benefits and income maximisation, conducting property sign-ups for new tenancies, and contacting current and former tenants by various methods to discuss their debts. You will investigate and respond to incoming queries and keep detailed records of all interactions. You will be confident and professional in all contact with customers and professionals alike.
This role offers the opportunity for hybrid working, allowing you to be based in the office, and from home throughout your working week. There will also be the opportunity for site visits out on our estates on a regular basis.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
To be successful in this role, you should be able to demonstrate that you have the following skills:
- Excellent customer service skills, including the ability to manage difficult customers
- A courteous manner and a professional attitude
- The ability to work as part of a team
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal, as well as the ability to adapt your tone to suit your audience
- The ability to use your initiative, to be self-motivated and hard working
- A common sense approach, and the ability to solve problems efficiently and effectively
- Good IT skills, including Microsoft Office
- Commitment to providing a quality service
- An understating of confidentiality
- Previous experience in a customer facing role, ideally in a Housing or Income Recovery Environment. This is desirable, but not essential, so do not be put off applying if you meet the essential skills and have other relevant experience.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 29th January 2023
Interview Date: 7th February 2023
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.