At Portsmouth City Council we're all about developing our staff, because we want to build a bigger and better city but we need the best employees to do so. With a little over 207,000 residents and 7,000 businesses throughout this city, this unitary authority's main goal is to ensure the best care and development of all those within the city. From customer service to Multi-million pound projects, our residents are at the heart of everything we do. Portsmouth City Council is the largest social landlord in the area with responsibility for managing over 17,000 council owned and leasehold properties!
If you believe you can make a valuable, positive contribution to our team then please read below for more about the role. Please take the time to read the application instructions carefully to ensure your application is not disregarded.
What's in it for me?
You will be starting on a salary of £27,852 going up to £32,020 as you progress. We value our employees and want them to reach their full potential. Although there is an induction period, you will be expected to learn on the job with the full support of the management team and your peers. Additional training is available if appropriate and as necessary.
What is the job?
As a Housing Officer you will be responsible for managing the tenancies of approximately 250 local authority properties. This includes the void property process from the point a tenant gives notice, allocating the property from the housing waiting list, to starting the new tenancy. You will be expected to help tenants meet their responsibilities in order that they can sustain their tenancies as outlined in their tenancy agreement whilst delivering excellent customer service.
Who is the person?
As one of the housing officers you will need to have the following:
- Demonstrate experience of building a positive rapport with customers. Demonstrate an ability of working with customers in a challenging front-line service and be comfortable visiting customers in their home.
- Understand the demands of the customer, prioritise and respond accordingly, whilst tailoring your approach to the needs of different individuals.
- Have experience of using your sound judgement to make informed decisions regarding the cases you manage and being able to consider all the facts of a case, including working with others and utilising other resources to achieve the right result for customers.
- Demonstrate examples of how you would provide help and support to our customers to enable them to meet their responsibilities as a tenant and actions you may take as a consequence of a tenant not adhering to the tenancy agreement.
- Be pro-active and highly motivated with the ability to work quickly, accurately and consistently when under pressure, managing your time effectively and be able to manage conflicting priorities appropriately.
- Be able to work independently in a focused, diligent and transparent manner.
- Be competent with using Microsoft software including: Excel, Word and Outlook and be able to use IT systems to keep clear, accurate, concise and methodical records.
- Be able to communicate in writing to customers, including the use of emails and have experience of preparing documents to be used in case conferences or as evidence in court.
- Be confident with speaking in public, including representing the local authority at Court hearings (usually without legal representation) and at multi-agency case conferences.
- You may be expected to work from any of the 7 area offices and carry out work outside of office hours as per the needs of the service and customer.
What you'll get in return
As well as highly competitive pay you'll receive all the benefits of working within a local authority organisation, which ranges from flexible working hours to a fantastic pension which allows you the opportunity to pay in more for that greater return. We wish to support all our staffs development throughout, if that’s progression planning or involvement within the on the job apprenticeship scheme we will work together to drive your career. For all the benefits of working with us, please click here!
When completing the application form, please thoroughly tailor your application to the 'Who is the Person' points with the use of examples from your experience and attach this as a cover letter in the Supporting Documents section. This is really important or you are likely not to be shortlisted. Please click here to see the full job profile!Should you require any support in completing the application form please contact email@example.com