This role will administer building regulations, the Building Act and other associated legislation and will assist the Building Control Team Leader with service plan implementation, meeting service standards and performance targets.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- to examine applications submitted under building regulations and associated legislation
- to carry out site inspections to ensure compliance with building regulations
- to record detailed and accurate records within the services’ computerised systems
- to provide professional advice to applicants, agents, members and all stakeholders on all matters
- mentoring junior colleagues to becoming fully qualified surveyors and support them in their training
- to participate in the organising and operation of the building control team
- to instigate enforcement procedures, preparing reports and appear in court as a prosecution witness
- to carry out inspections of dangerous structures, taking appropriate action
- to exercise and promote a high level of customer satisfaction
- to assist in the development and improvement of this competitive service
- to deputise for the Building Control Team Leader, involving attendance at meetings, monitoring workloads and allocating resources, etc.
- occasional need to deal with potentially dangerous structure situations
The duties may vary from time to time without changing the nature of the post or the level of responsibility and the post holder may also be required to carry out any other duties appropriate to the grading of the post.
- previous building control experience either within Local Government or the private sector
- able to provide readily understood professional advice to a wide range of recipients
- to maintain a level of competency to deal with a constantly changing legislation, building techniques and role of building control within a competitive environment
- sound knowledge and understanding of building control, legislation and construction
- IT experience in Windows, including office, excel, plus email and internet
- able to project manage
- working knowledge and understanding of health and safety issues and good practice
Your essential qualifications:
- full membership of RICS, CABE or equivalent
- construction related degree
- hold a current valid driving licence
- own and provide a well-maintained vehicle to perform duties
If you have the following experience or qualifications – it’s a bonus:
- previous line management experience
- level 6 LABC Building Standards Fire Safety Specialist
Your style and behaviours:
- receptive to new ways of working
- excellent communication, interpersonal and negotiating skills
- positive approach to working in a team and with customers
- willingness to work effectively, set priorities to meet agreed standards and targets without supervision
- ability to handle complex situations
- customer service and quality focussed approach
- able to work across the planning service and corporately
- ability to judge when to seek advice from senior colleagues
- able to travel to sites, maintaining professional networking, etc.
- ability and commitment to use provided technology in line with service requirements
Our vision and values are important to the councils and we expect you to support them and embed them in the way we work.
We are seen as being customer-focussed, approachable and business-like. We are honest and open and are renowned for providing high-quality cost-effective services.
- We act with integrity and show respect
- We are all accountable
- We are passionate about our business
- We strive for simplicity
- We love success
The benefits we offer:
- A basic 24 days annual leave per annum, rising to 29 days after five years.
- Flexible working and annualised hours – a flexible approach to work that our employees love!
- Salary pay awards
- Payment of annual professional membership
- A generous career average pension scheme which includes life insurance of three times your salary
- The opportunity to purchase a bike through Cyclescheme
- A salary sacrifice car lease scheme – a fully inclusive driving package for a fixed monthly cost
- Various schemes to keep you healthy
- We give you two days per year to volunteer within the local community.
You may have experience of the following: Building Surveyor, Surveyor, Housing, Qualified Surveyor, Maintenance Surveyor, Repairs Surveyor, Senior Building Surveyor, RICS, CIOB, Quantity Surveyor, QS, Building Regulations, etc.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided and complete our online appication form.