Portsmouth Local Authority is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and young people, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. DBS Disclosure at Enhanced level will be required prior to any offer of employment and this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. Every post is subject to PCC and Portsmouth Safeguarding Children’s Board safer recruitment procedures.
We have 5 posts available:
Court Lane School
St Judes School
Langstone Infant & Junior School
Please indicate which location you would prefer on your application.
Portsmouth City Council
At Portsmouth City Council we’re all about developing our staff, because we want to build a bigger and better city but we need the best employees to do so. With a little over 207,000 residents and 7,000 businesses throughout this city, this unitary authority’s main goal is to ensure the best care and development of all those within the city. From customer service to Multi-million pound projects, our residents are at the heart of everything we do.
Your New Role
You will ensure that children and other pedestrians cross the road safely at the designated crossing point. You will be working in all weather conditions which can include the cold, wet, snow and heat. It is a legal requirement to wear a uniform and use equipment provided for your own safety.
What you’ll need to succeed
You need to:
1. Have an awareness of potential hazards when working on or near roads.
2. Have good communication skills as you will be liaising with children and adults of all levels.
3. Ability to demonstrate good time keeping.
4. Have the ability to use your own initiative and think on your feet as you will be unsupervised for the majority of the time.
5. Have the ability to remain professional within the role.
6. Have an awareness of safeguarding.
7. Have the ability to work in all weather conditions and be on your feet for up to an hour at a time (twice a day) and be able to move on to and off the road.
8. You must be able to hold in one hand a SCP sign weighing up to 2 kilos up to arm's length and above.
9. Be committed to term time only working (no leave to be taken during these periods)What you'll get in return working for Portsmouth City Council As well as highly competitive pay you’ll receive all the benefits of working within a local authority organisation, including flexible working hours, extensive wellbeing support through the Employee Assistance Programme and a fantastic pension which allows you the opportunity to pay in more for that greater return. We wish to support all our staff's development throughout, if that’s progression planning or involvement within the on-the-job apprenticeship scheme we will work together to drive your career. For those with families we have childcare benefits as well as discounts with local businesses which can be enjoyed by all. What next To make sure your application is above the rest, please review the Job Profile click here to ensure you application matches the requirements of the role. Please ensure to complete the application in its entirety and add in comments to the Personal Statement section. We look forward to speaking with you soon. Should you require any support in completing the application form please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email Lisa Surry, School Crossing Patrol Co-ordinator Lisa.Surry@portsmouthcc.gov.uk and Lisa will send you an application form to complete.