Planning Policy Officer
Ref no: 1929 - 2358
Salary: Band 7 - £23,866 - £28,221 p.a.
37 hours per week
Why come & work for City Development in Portsmouth?
As the only island city in the UK, Portsmouth has interesting and diverse challenges with internationally designated harbours. The city brings together environmental attributes, historic assets and conservation areas, along with a vibrant seafront.
Portsmouth boasts excellent direct rail links to other cities, including London, and hosts lots of events all year round, creating exciting cultural opportunities. Portsmouth is a University City, and benefits from the investment into the growing educational offer. Portsmouth is the home port for the Royal Navy including the two new aircraft carriers.
City Development is dedicated to leading the sustainable development of our city, enabling it to deliver economic growth and meet present and future needs whilst improving its environment and everyone’s quality of life. A key element to this is the work the Planning Policy Team is undertaking to bring forward a new Local Plan.
What is the role?
You will be a key part of the Policy team developing a Local Plan to lead the development of Portsmouth over the next 15 years. You will join as the Plan is being prepared so will have scope to help monitor development, prepare evidence, and shape policy.
This role is considered an ideal role for a keen individual to develop their planning career. The policy team works closely with colleagues in development management, economic development and planning enabling, so there will be a lot of opportunities for you to develop your skills and gain experience.
Key tasks will include -
- Monitoring development in the city and how current planning policy works
- Researching and evaluating evidence on a wide range of planning topics
- Contribute to planning policy and projects being developed by the city development service
- Support the team and undertake public consultation on planning policy documents
- Respond to changes in legislation relating to planning policy
- Prepare reports and giving professional advice to Members and committees/ panels on matters relating to the work of the team
- Support senior officers and provide advice on planning applications and to other services and Council Members on all aspects of planning policy.Who is the person? You will:
- Be educated to degree level in Town and Country Planning or related subject.
- Have a keen interest in sustainable development.
- Have experience of working in planning or development (Desirable)
- Will have good research and analysis skills with the ability to accurately and clearly summarise outcomes.
- Will have good communication and interpersonal skills to be able to develop relationships with other council departments and other organisations.
- Have good IT skills including Microsoft Office and have experience of using Geographic Information Systems (Desirable)
- Have the ability to work on your own initiative and to manage your own work programme
- Be a good team player with organisational and planning skills to meet the requirements of the post.
- Be willing to develop new planning skills and experience, including undertaking training and development to meet the needs of the role. For an informal discussion regarding this role, please call Toby Ayling on 02392 437863Closing: 28th September 2018
- Interview process: 9th October 2018