Hillingdon Council: Putting our Residents first.
About the role
We are seeking an interim Complaints and Enquiries officer to join the our Responsive Repairs team for a fixed term contract or secondment (for internal employees) for up to 12 months.
The successful candidate will involve supporting the Complaints & Risk Manager in Hillingdon Council's Maintenance Service to investigate, respond to and resolve queries, complaints and legal cases about repairs to Council housing that are received from residents, other Council departments, Hillingdon councillors and local MPs. This position is based at Harlington Road Depot in Hillingdon.
You will be working with a range of contacts including residents, trade operatives and contractors, other Council staff of all levels, and high-profile public representatives, so it is essential that you have excellent verbal and written communication skills. An important part of the role is to investigate data including creating and interpreting reports to find out what might have gone wrong and how it can be put right. You should be a confident computer user, preferably with some knowledge of Word and Excel, though full training will be provided. You will use your research to suggest improvements to current ways of working in order to deliver a more efficient and effective services for customers.
Due to the nature of the work you must be flexible in meeting business needs and from time to time you may be required to work additional hours to cover the complaints and escalations.
You must also have a clean driving licence and access to a vehicle as you will be required to attend various sites.
Important skills for this role include:
- problem solving
- creative thinking
- ability to learn new systems
- ability to deal with sensitive situations
- time management
- passion for learning
- exceptional standards of customer service
- teamwork and relationship building
- able to work under pressure
A general knowledge of or interest in household repairs is helpful but not essential as this is an office role.
You must be motivated to deliver results and will be expected to take ownership of your personal development, as well as supporting the development of the Maintenance Service and repairs processes. We strive to ensure that we continuously improve our service, and you will play an essential part in supporting this.
You will be able to make a real difference to our residents, and truly support London Borough of Hillingdon in our aim to put our residents first.
What we offer
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.
Due to an expected high volume of applications, we could close this role early, we therefore recommend you apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.