Detached Youth Worker
JNC Ranges 22 – 25 (£33,617 - £36,616)
Career grade progression: 26-27
London Borough of Newham - Youth Empowerment Service
The London Borough of Newham is committed to expanding its youth services. It is our intention that children and young people within the Borough will have access to the best Youth Service in London. The Detached Youth Worker post will play a pivotal role in helping us achieve our goal. Working to a remit set the Detached Senior Youth Worker, post holders will be responsible for delivering Newham’s exemplary universal and targeted youth services.
The vision for Youth Empowerment Service is:
- For children and young people to have agency and make Newham a place where they are inspired to realise their potential feel safe are valued members of their community and have influence in the decisions made about their lives
- For the youth working sector in Newham to be supported, recognised and valued for its breadth and experience in the unique role it plays in enhancing social and emotional learning within the lives of children and young people
- For a rich partnership which employs a whole systems approach with the ambition to ensure Newham is place where children and young people are able to thrive
The Youth Empowerment Service’s Strategic Aims are that Children and young people in Newham
- Feel Safe
- Are valued
- Have influence
- Realise their potential
We deliver open access and targeted sessions for groups of young people aged 9-25yrs, and deliver a co-produced curriculum of activities designed to support social and emotional learning.
The Youth Empowerment Service has a programme in every community neighbourhood throughout Newham which is delivered through a range of building based, detached and outreach provision. About the job:
Working to a remit set by the Senior Detached Youth Worker, post holder will be responsible for delivering Newham’s universal and targeted youth services, providing young people with practical support, mentoring, learning, information and guidance that equips them with the skills and capabilities they will require as they transition into adulthood. The delivery requires working in spaces and places where young people choose to be such as local parks, shopping centres, estates and other community spaces. The role requires you to deliver street based youth work in local communities taking services to young people, creating programmes, projects and interventions in young people’s spaces.
You will be passionate about supporting young people to achieve their full potential through quality youth work, have extensive experience of working with children and young people and be able to evidence how you have worked to improve successful outcomes with them.
You will enjoy and understand the importance of working collaboratively, within a Detached youth work setting, across the Youth Empowerment Service, with other Council services as well as with external organisations.
You will have an understanding of the contemporary challenges young people face and be able to develop high impact services which will promote opportunities for young people to develop social and emotional learning.
Working Under the direction of the Detached Senior Youth Worker, the post holder will work in locations where young people meet. You will be responsible for:
1. Providing first class detached universal youth services that support and enable young people to fulfil their potential;
2. Delivering Targeted Youth Support and related services that are local and easily accessible, to young people who need additional tailored support;
3. Providing young people with the opportunity to influence the nature and content of detached youth service provision;
4. Inputting into systems, processes and reviews that track participation levels and impact, on a programme by programme basis, but also at the individual young person level; and
5. Working with young people to support them to participate as active members of their community, through building networks, supporting skills development and through promoting involvement in formal and informal decision-making processes.
If you believe you have the passion, skills and knowledge to contribute to our innovative programme, we would be interested in receiving your application.
Applicants who have applied in the last 6 months need not apply
Closing date 05.12.2022
Please view Detached Youth Worker jd
We are committed to creating an inclusive, anti-racist environment for all. When you apply for a job at Newham, your application is considered on its merits regardless of your age, disability, ethnicity, faith, gender identity or sexual orientation. If you share our vision and values, and you bring the experience and skills we need, that’s all that matters to us.
The London Borough of Newham has important responsibilities for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. If you are appointed to a job that involves working with these groups, you may be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
Please attach your supporting statement, explaining in no more than x2 A4 sides why and how you meet the criteria for this role.
We practice anonymised recruitment. Please ensure that you remove all personal information from any documents