Hillingdon Council: Putting our Residents first.
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity for ambitious part/qualified accountant to join our diverse accountancy team reporting directly to the Head of Pensions Treasury and Statutory Accounts. Effective asset management in local government will play a key role as councils continue to face resource constraints in a fast-changing environment. Property market volatility and continual change in accounting regulations, including the change to lease accounting will result in balance sheet movements and challenge from external auditors. This specialist role offers significant exposure and the opportunity to lead on the implementation of statutory change and ensuring that our accounts are fully IFRS compliant.
You will be responsible for the leading the asset valuation process, treasury management, VAT partial exemption, working with key stakeholders both within the business and externally, ensuring that the statutory accounting and strategic implications of decisions are considered and implemented. We are looking for an individual not only with strong technical skills, but with the confidence and tact to question assumptions and challenge outcomes. You will be able to interpret and explain complex financial issues through fluent verbal and written communication to all levels of the organisation.
You will be a qualified CCAB qualified accountant with experience in either a Capital accounting or Treasury Management role within a large public sector organisation. You will have excellent analytical skills and will be responsible for interpreting and presenting information to financial and non-financial professional. You will be an excellent communicator establishing and maintaining strong working relationships and will have the ability to take instructions and effectively follow them through to completion and a high standard.
You will also be organised, solution focused and comfortable taking responsibility for tasks and delivering results and have an eye for detail. In addition, you will have excellent IT skills and will be required to use a number of the Council's financial software packages.
What we offer
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses