How you'll make a difference
What will you be doing?
- We have a strong culture of giving staff the time, freedom and support to explore new and better ways of doing things, so we’re looking for individuals keen to use their creativity to deliver high quality, child-centred practices, which ensure the best outcomes for children and families.
- You will work with unaccompanied children and young people that are often high risk, that are seeking asylum and may be refugees, illegal immigrant or political refugees.
- You will provide support and assistance through the home office processes for application for asylum.
- You will be completing regular visits and assessments, gaining the views and wishes of children and young people; incorporating their views into your daily work. You may require interpreters, rely on other communication methodology and tools in order to do this effectively.
What we need from you
- A qualified social worker with relevant registration to practice and a good understanding of asset and strengths based approaches to social work
- A problem solver, confident about making important decisions, underpinned by a genuine passion to work collaboratively with children, young people and families to meet their goals and aspirations
- Innovation, positivity and dedication. You’ll welcome challenge and embrace change.
- You will posses highly developed specialist knowledge of social work practice in Children’s service and have experience of working with Unaccompanied asylum seeking children and young people.
- You will demonstrate a strong understanding and focus on cultural needs, employability and trauma recovery.
How a career at South Gloucestershire Council is different
We invest in the careers of our people and we are recognised for the quality, breadth and depth of our training and development offer, which helps our people make the greatest long-term difference in their work.
A career at South Gloucestershire is an opportunity for you to progress when you are ready.
Any post can become any social worker grade, be it at initial recruitment or through internal progression, our grades and salaries are:
- Social Worker £32,020 - £34,723
- Advanced Social Worker £36,298 - £39,493
- Senior Social Worker £40,478 - £43,516
We have a fluid career progression programme and structure, what does this mean for you?
- You no longer need to wait for a vacancy to gain promotion.
- Apply for progression assessment when you are ready, no restrictions on application windows.
- Earn a higher income for your recognised experience.
- Gain promotion without needing to change teams, managers or employer – fast track your potential.
- Senior roles leading to both managerial or practice specialist careers.
- Gain experience in other teams with secondment opportunities encouraged.
These posts attract a gross lump sum £3,000 ‘recruitment payment’ offered to enable Social Workers who have already successfully completed their ASYE to join our permanent workforce. This is payable upon successful completion of your probationary period (after approximately 3-6 months) and is subject to eligibility criteria. These posts are also eligible for the annual £3,000 ‘retention payment’, payable in November annually to those with two years’ service with the council in Integrated Children’s Services In an eligible post, inclusive of any ASYE period.
We also provide up to £8,000 relocation package, Housing Pilot, flexible working and a suite of employee benefits including a generous annual leave entitlement, pension and Social Work England registration fees reimbursement.
We know our team work best when they have balance in their lives and we offer genuine flexibility to help them achieve that work/life balance.
We recognise that our diverse team of skilled and dedicated people make us a great place to work. We welcome applications from everyone and ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and developed on the basis of their merits and abilities.
More information about our wider Children's Service can be found at www.socialworksouthglos.co.uk
Apply now with your CV and your personal statement, and a member of the team will be in contact with you to progress your application as a social worker here at South Gloucestershire Council.
Please note submissions will be reviewed weekly and interview panels take place every Friday morning via Microsoft Teams video link.
If you have any specific questions, our Recruitment Advisor is happy to assist, email email@example.com
We’re making a difference, be part of it!