Job Reference: CO03 – 1681
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the Finance and Commercial Services team, as a Principal Commercial Companies Reporting Officer. The role is part of the biggest Finance transformation project the Council has ever undertaken and this role is a crucial role within the project. The Internal Audit function is being brought back in-house having been outsourced for some significant period of time.
Slough Borough Council's Finance and Commercial team is undergoing a huge transformation and is looking for new team members to be key players in its change and improvement journey. SBC has faced unprecedented challenges in recent times but has now developed a recovery and improvement plan which along with the commitment and hard work of officers and members is beginning to make a positive impact. It will be challenging but you will have an almost unique opportunity to be part of a team that will help re-build the Council and its finances.
The Finance and Commercial services team are crucial to helping the council deliver on its ambitious new plans. Whilst we recognise there is still a lot to be done to re-establish itself with its members, the community, and other stakeholders this is an exciting time to join our team and play your part in a team whose ambition is to have a truly positive and transformational impact on the future of the Council and the community.
This role will allow you to have impact, be challenged and be part of a team that wants to leave a positive legacy within both the organisation and community.
Main purpose of Job:
- To facilitate the smooth operation and management of the Council’s commercial companies
- To support procurement processes within the Council to ensure that procurement is compliant with UK procurement rules and the council’s contract procedure rules
What you'll be doing:
- Assist the Group Manger Commercial with the day-to-day operation and management of the Council's subsidiary companies
- Provide a secretariat service in the management of Board of Directors meetings
- Manage and chase progress of actions and decisions taken by the boards
- To ensure the effective management of all official returns related to the companies in terms of completion and submission to relevant bodies on time and to a suitable quality standard
- Write and/or co-ordinate the writing of reports for the companies
- Undertake and manage one-off projects
- Manage the procurement of services for the companies
- Represent the companies in other meetings and discussions
- Write and/or co-ordinate the writing of communications to stakeholders
- Provide high quality and timely advice to the Boards of Directors
- Support the GM in reviewing the key performance information (financial and non-financial) being presented to the Council to ensure that it is appropriate
- Support the GM in developing a plan to implement the recommendations set out in the RSM subsidiary companies review
- To undertake any other duties within the team commensurate to the post, as required, and to be rotated to other posts within the department as required in line with the business needs of the department
What you'll have/be:
We encourage development, ambition and progression so even if you don't have all the skills/experience, please do consider applying as full training and support are offered.
- Demonstrable successful senior management experience in a large, complex, multi-service organisation, managing across technical or professional areas
- Management qualification-anticipated to be degree level + Post Graduate qualification (e.g. ILM7/MBA) or vocational equivalent. CIPS qualifications at levels 4 or above or the Certificate in Public Procurement
- Experience of leading and managing significant organisational change with evidence of achieving tangible benefits, including supporting the implementation of new organisational structures or systems
- Membership of a relevant chartered or professional body e.g. the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply
- Experience of financial and budgetary management with the ability to formulate financial strategies that provide value for money and puts stakeholders at the centre of financial decisions.
Our offer to you:
Slough Borough Council is a challenging but rewarding place to work offering a supportive place to grow and develop your career with a real opportunity for your input to be valued and heard. Ambition and innovation will be required now more than ever, and you'll join a friendly and collaborative environment where you are encouraged to thrive.
Alongside a competitive salary, there are a range of great benefits including:
- Flexible and hybrid working options with an expectation of at least 2 days per week in the office
- Generous holiday entitlement-25 days annual leave (not including Bank holidays), rising to 29 days between 2-5 years of service and 32 days after 5 years of service
- Generous pension scheme
- Wellbeing initiatives including cycle rides and sports tournaments amongst others
- Our commitment to equality and diversity through a range of employee networks
- Tax-free childcare and childcare services
- Discounted car parking
- Season loan ticket-to help with the cost of your rail/bus journey to and from work.
In our office, we are assembling the best minds in public sector reform. If that’s you, then this could be a career defining move for you.
We value diversity.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.